Chosen - chapter twenty

Chapter Twenty

I leaned against the door my body grew hot all over. I could feel my cheeks burning. Nobody angered me the way he just did, besides, maybe, my mother. She simply irritated me. He knew how important this was for me. It wasn't fair for him to deny me the one joy I could have. Avenging my friend.

"Joselyn? What's wrong?" Angeline asked, running from her room at the sound of my entrance.

"Cassius! That's what's wrong. He is considering not allowing me to do my duty."

"Why ever not?"

"He doesn't want me captured or to be found out."

"He's not allowing you to protect him?" she questioned.

"Well, yeah."

"Then what isn't he allowing you to do?"

"Kill the duke."

"The duke has threatened his life?"

"Uh, no, I guess not."

"Then why kill him?" she asked.

"He sold Belle. Cassius is stopping me."

"I was afraid this would happen," she mumbled, shaking her head.

"What?" I queried.

She furrowed her brows and shook her head. "The two of you are getting entirely too close. Now he is inferring with something you have trained your entire life to do. This is one reason why assassins do not get attached to their kings. Mistakes are made. Lives are lost."

"Angeline, I'm still doing it. He can't deny me my right to protect not only him but also Belle. I will find her," I said, slamming my fist on the desk.

"Are you doing it to protect him? Or is it vengeance?"

"I want to protect everyone. I need to."

"Joselyn, first thing you must do is listen to your king. If he warns you not to take drastic actions, such as killing the Duke, don't do it. You do not want him mad."

"He's always mad," I grumbled, flopping onto the bed.

She sighed heavily and folded her arms over her chest. "Please, you must keep things peaceful between the two of you. Do not do anything rash."

"Fine, Angeline. I'll do as he says, despite not wanting to."

She nodded her head and left me to my thoughts. I sat up and stared at the trunk with my knives.

Joselyn, we promised not to do anything. I must keep things peaceful.

I rolled onto my stomach and stared at the trunk. It was ridiculous that I couldn't do my duty. I didn't understand why he kept me at bay. Chewing my bottom lip, I slid off the bed and crept to the delicious secrets that lie within the oak trunk. I opened it and gazed upon the gleaming steel blades.

I have to find Belle. I have to make the Duke realize that he will not get away with the horrible deed.

Sighing heavily, I pulled out the black clothing the Guild assigned to all assassins and unfastened my gown. My heart sped up as I pulled on the pants and tunic. Defying my king would result in his anger. Would it mean the dungeons for me?

I buckled the leather contraption of my hidden blades to my forearms, beneath the sleeves of the tunic. Refastening the sheath on my thigh. I kept an eye on the door to Angeline's small room and hoped she wouldn't come back. Sneaking to the window, I opened it and climbed onto the ledge. I grasped the sill and dug my toes into the stone. The drop to the ledge below was at least six feet. The duke's chambers were five rooms to the left and still at least ten feet off the ground. A single misstep could mean my death. Attempting to steady my breathing and shaking body, I crouched down and lowered myself as far as I could. I released my grip and dropped to the sill below with a soft thud. I quickly moved to the right and did my best to steady my racing heart. The lights were on and someone was moving about within.