Chosen - Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

"Lady Joselyn?"

I remained motionless, listening to people bustle about the room and the murmurs of who I assumed to be physicians.

"Are you awake?" his hot breath blew in my ear as he whispered close to my head.

I remained motionless.

"Everyone leave," Cassius ordered.

"Majesty?" an older voice questioned from near the left of me.

"I said everyone leave. I believe the lady was simply overcome with exhaustion. I will tend to her."

"Oh, um, of course," the stammering voice said, unsure if he should really leave or not.

The doors shut a few seconds later and everything grew silent.

"King Cassius, I do not appreciate being summoned from the French court six months ago only to receive a letter demanding my services before even being introduced at your court." I sat up on the ornate bed and smoothed my hair. "Not to mention I have not heard a word from you since we saw one another before our return. Not even a letter."

"Forgive me, lady." The king bowed low and a sly smile played at his lips.

"Now, your majesty, what is the meaning of this?" I pulled the letter from my bosom and tossed it toward him.

"As it says I have a bit of a problem that needs tending."

"My lord, I am well aware of your problem. But I am not a hired killer that you can call on to do your bidding at any time you want. I am a trained assassin placed in your midst to protect you."

"Yes, yes I understand and can only beg your forgiveness. Can you forgive a foolish king for doing things ill properly?"

I pursed my lips trying with all my might to hide a smile. "I suppose I can forgive you this time, Cassius."

"I did not send for you just because, Joselyn. There is someone threatening to overthrow me."

"Has there been further attempts on your life?"

"He has already made three attempts on my life since our return," the king replied. "Plus, if I am not king you will be out of an assignment, is that not correct?"

"Why did it take you so long to call for me?"

"Protocol and procedure, I suppose."

"I would think something like that could warrant a break in royal protocol." I stopped pacing and took a few deep breaths. "What sort of attempts?"

"The first occurred right after I returned. That night actually. He had a servant pour poison in my soup. I lost one of my favorite boys because of that incident. The second happened last month. They poisoned food once again and a great number of my grooms died. The third attempt, a crossbow arrow narrowly missed my heart last week."

"I suppose that changes things a bit." I sat back down and chewed my lips.

My first mission.

"Yes. It does."

"Obviously I cannot leave you alone."

"How do we manage that?" he asked.

I shook my head. "I'm not sure. I will figure something out."

"I am due to go on progress soon."

"I could easily assimilate into your court."

"It would make sense with you being the Duke of Suffolk's daughter. Especially if I insist he goes with me."

I nodded. Cassius had a wonderful idea.