Chosen - chapter thirty-seven

Chapter Thirty-Seven

Cassius ushered me into the great hall. As the herald announced us the entire court grew quiet and turned to look. Who could be escorted by the English king? I held tight to his arm as we entered the mass of lords and ladies who were invited to the masque. I looked around in amazement at the transformation of the hall. Normally sunlight streamed through the windows, illuminating everything. Today though the windows were covered by heavy, purple drapes emblazoned with the French crest in gold. The light wood tables were replaced by dark oak. Minstrels stood high above the rest of us playing the most beautiful music. Lords and ladies leaped and spun in the middle of the room. Others gathered around a table full of magnificent foods.

"Wow. This is amazing."

"Francis always has to show off when I'm here." Cassius shook his head.

"Stop it. Enjoy yourself."

He pursed his lips and rolled his eyes.

Everyone looked amazing. Ladies gowns swished about their feet as they ran from here to there, the delicate masks forming to their faces. Long, elaborate plumes jutted from the masks of men, bobbing as they danced and spun about the room with their partners.

"What do you want to do first?" Cassius asked.

"I'm rather hungry."

I scanned the room looking for Angeline or Jonathan.

Will he recognize me? Of course, he will, who else would be on the arm of the king? Cassius is obvious with his crest on his doublet.

"Do you see Jonathan or Angeline?" I asked.

"No," Cassius mumbled, staring at the vast array of meats and fruits before him.

"Are you even paying attention?" I asked.

"To the food I am."

"Cassius, you're an impossible man."

He shrugged his shoulders and piled his plate high with food. I continued scanning the room. I caught a glimpse of a woman in magnificent purple. A large ostrich feather stood high in her hair and she laughed with a group of gentlemen.

Angeline. Okay, so where is Jonathan.

"Joselyn, now it's my turn to tell you to relax. Nothing is going to happen with so many people around."

"You don't know that. This would be the perfect time for someone to attack. Nobody would suspect it," I said, catching Angeline's eye. She nodded and slowly made her way from group to group. "I found her."

Cassius didn't respond. He handed me a plate and directed me to the food. I slowly put a few pieces of delicious smelling meat on the plate along with cheese and bread. Francis waved toward us, motioning to the seats beside him and the queen. We obliged and headed for the raised table.

"Ah, you look lovely!" Queen Claude said as we approached.

"Thank you."

"You two will make a fabulous couple," Francis said, eyeing me.

"Oh, we're simply friends. I'm helping the king find a wife. I'm not available," I muttered, knowing they would not approve of the relationship. Plus, I had no idea how close they were to the Guild.

What if they are the ones who told Jonathan? What if they have a spy for the Guild amongst their court or servants?

Angeline approached as we sat down and curtsied. "Your majesties. Lady Joselyn. I cannot thank you enough for allowing me the chance to be here."