Chosen - chapter twenty-eight

Chapter Twenty-Eight

I remained incapacitated for another week and a half before I could travel about the castle. Angeline made sure to pick gowns that completely covered my back and arms until the wounds healed. No matter where I walked people stopped, stared, and whispered.

Did they know about the attack? Is it because I've been confined with the king? Is it because of Mary?

One of the reasons I hated court life so much was because of the pettiness. The whispers and rumors were nauseating.

"Lady Joselyn, it has been some time since anyone has seen you."

"I know. I took ill shortly after returning with the king and have been confined to my chambers," I said to a courtier who stopped me as I walked through the main hall.

"How dreadful. I do hope it wasn't awful," she said, gasping and putting her hand to her mouth.

"No, it wasn't so bad. Just a bit under the weather. Angeline, my handmaiden, did a marvelous job ensuring my wellness."

"How lovely. It is so hard to find good help." She shook her head sadly.

If only you knew how much of a help she is, you snotty prude.

"Yes, I suppose it is difficult finding decent people to surround yourself with."

She nodded her head in solemn agreement not realizing I meant her.

"Where is your dress from? I haven't seen anything of its making before."

"Oh, yes, well with my being sick Angeline decided one of the high backed, long-sleeved French gowns would be most suitable until I am well."

"You will have to tell me who designed it!"

"I'll have to ask Angeline. She is the one who did the ordering. She's rather particular," I mumbled, glancing around the room for anyone who I could use as an excuse to retreat from the discussion. "Oh, I believe I see the Duke of Norfolk. I should say hello."

"Of course. It was nice seeing you, Lady Joselyn."

"It was a pleasure seeing you as well, Duchess." I crossed the room and exchanged pleasantries with the Duke.

Thankfully for me, he was a man of few words.

Almost to the king.

I hurried away from the rest of the court and headed for the king's study. I hoped he would be alone. I was in no mood for any more conversations.

"Yes, ma'am?" a guard at the door asked.

"Lady Joselyn here to see his majesty, King Cassius."

"Just a moment." He bowed and cracked the door. I heard multiple voices mumbling before he withdrew his head. "He will see you."

I strode past the guard into Cassius's study. I bit my tongue when I saw the cardinal Walsh standing near the fireplace.

"Lady Joselyn? What are you doing here?" he asked.

"To see the king."

"Why on earth would the king want to see you?" he asked.

I clenched my teeth and looked away from the boorish cardinal.

"I requested her to come," Cassius replied behind him.

"Of course, my lord."

"You are dismissed, Walsh."

The cardinal dipped into a low bow and left us alone. I always wondered how he was able to do that without his little red cap falling off. I grimaced as he shut the door.