Chosen - Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

I threw down my fork and stood, pacing around the room. Tears of anger welled in my eyes thinking about the horrid things dear Belle must be enduring. My hands trembled, and my body shook as I thought about her locked away in some lowly place. Who would take dear, sweet Belle? Why would they take her? How can Cassius sit there and just eat?

"Joselyn, will you relax?" he said before shoving a forkful of boiled egg in his mouth.

"You may find it easy to eat while our friend is missing, but I cannot. Who would take Belle? How did her husband not know anything?" I asked, a single tear sliding down my cheek.

I did the most unladylike thing a woman could do, I flopped into a chair. My skirts flew up, satin and damask fluttered about. My corset dug into my stomach and sternum and it just made me want to sob even more.

"Joselyn?"

"Don't, Cassius. I don't want to talk. I need to think."

He put his fork down and dabbed his face with a cloth. "You don't have to talk. I am just as frustrated as you; however, we must maintain our composer if we want to find her."

"Why are you always right?"

He smiled and went back to eating his eggs. "So, you know where you're going to start?"

He finished and pushed his plates aside, leaning on his elbows on the table, placing his head in his hands.

"I have no idea. I don't know why anybody would want to take Belle. She's the sweetest, most timid woman alive." I sighed and kept watch out the window. Rain cascaded down the glass, making the crowned lion caressed by a rose look as though it were crying.

"Okay, then look into those in her life."

"Cassius, that's the entire court." I shook my head, biting my lip. An entire court of suspects? That was ridiculous.

"Who would profit the most from her disappearance?" he asked.

I furrowed my brow and thought as hard as I could. Who would profit the most? Who would benefit from Belle's disappearance or death?

"Duke De Le Mare. Her husband could find another wife. One with more money or more standing. Even though he's about as high as he can go right now. I suppose it would be all for money. He would keep everything Belle had from her parents."

"Unless he planned on marrying my future queen's sister save she had one."

"Do you have any prospects? Are there any women who have sisters he may want to marry?" I asked.

Cassius shook his head, chewing on his lip.

"Alright, so without any prospects what would he gain disposing of Belle?"

"The money," Cassius replied.

A knock at the door interrupted our conversation.

"What!" Cassius hollered.

"Majesty?" a meek, timid girl asked peeking her head in.

"What, girl?"

She curtsied and blushed at the sight of me in the chair. I must have looked like an ungroomed mess. "That lady's mother is outside the chambers and wishes to enter."

I groaned and stood, straightening my skirts and bodice. "Do you want to see her?"

"I have her daughter in my chambers. I do not have much of a choice. No mention of Belle's disappearance though."