Chosen - chapter forty-seven

Chapter Forty-Seven

Our voyage back to England was much less eventful than the voyage to Constantinople. The skies were clear, the ocean calm, and not a pirate in sight.

"Do you want to dock in Marseille?" Charles asked one cloudless afternoon.

"No. Straight on to Portsmouth."

"It'll be an additional two weeks."

"Quite all right. We're in no rush," Cassius replied.

"Yes, we are," I said, speaking up.

"You just finished with one mission, Joselyn. You can relax for a little while," Cassius said.

"No. I won't relax until I take care of the Guild."

"I was hoping for Robert and Belle to marry once we reached Portsmouth. We'll leave after the wedding."

I nodded my head and returned to staring at the sea.

***

Portsmouth was a busy town. Ships scattered the bay, carriages with horses trotted to and fro. Large men hauled large crates on and off ships, loading onto nearby wagons. The ship docked on the nearest slip and we headed down the gangplank.

I smiled at the sight of my country. I didn't think I would ever be so excited to see it.

Belle and Robert strode arm in arm. Belle glanced up at him with big, doe eyes. A smile hung on her lips, occasionally a giggle coming out, as Robert whispered in her ear. Spending a few days in the port wouldn't hurt anything. The Guild wasn't going anywhere.

Unless Jonathan has been released from prison. Then what do I do?

I followed close behind the couple, heading for the nearest dress shop.

"Good morrow!" a short, plump woman said as we entered her business.

"Hello," Belle answered tentatively.

"What can I do for...your majesty?" The woman quickly dipped into a curtsy as Cassius walked in behind me.

"Good morrow, Madame. We need dresses."

"What is the occasion?"

"We're getting married." Belle's grin grew even larger if that was possible.

"A wedding! Oh, fantastic. Let's have a look at the fabrics I have available and get everything sorted."

"It will be in two days. Unfortunately, we are pressed for time"

"Two days for three gowns? That is impossible."

The corner of Belle's lips turned downward.

Cassius stepped forward. "I shall make it worth your time, lady."

The woman pursed her lips and furrowed her brow. "I could request a few of the ladies in town that I know to help. If we work non-stop it's possible to finish in two days."

The three men left the shop as Belle, Angeline, and I made ourselves comfortable. The seamstress brought out a tray of tea and biscuits. As we sipped the tea she scurried around her shop picking up fabrics and putting them back down. She ran to us, grabbed Belle's hand and led her to a pedestal in the center of the shop. She had four beautiful bolts of fabric laid out. She held up the first a stunning shade of silver. She turned it this way and that before putting it back down. The second was shimmering gold. The seamstress smiled and nodded before picking up a light pink. The color of the pink accentuated all of Belle's features. Her gorgeous pale skin, her beautiful red lips, the curly brown hair, everything popped alive with the rose pink.