Chosen - chapter twenty-nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

I pushed the gowns in my wardrobe around. I needed something appropriate yet lady-like. I sighed heavily and slammed the doors shut.

Nothing.

"What's wrong, Joselyn?" Angeline asked.

"I don't have any gowns to wear."

She opened the wardrobe and glanced at the mass of fabric bursting to overflow. I rolled my eyes and walked across the room.

"What are you thinking? I can find you something."

"Where? It takes days to make a gown!"

She arched her brows at me. I shrugged my shoulders.

"Please tell me, Joselyn."

"Fine. I would like something the color of soft, pink roses and trimmed in white lace."

"I'll see what I can find." She curtsied and hurried out the door.

Where on earth will she find a gown?

"Joselyn!"

I groaned inwardly at the sound of mother's voice. She burst through the door with a wild look in her eyes.

"Mother."

"Do not mother me. Why have I been kept from you for so long? This has been completely inappropriate."

"I've been sick, mother. Angeline nursed me back to health. The king did not want the sickness to spread."

"So, he banned your own mother from being with you?" she asked, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

"I suppose he didn't even want you getting sick. You should thank him, it was a rather dreadful sickness."

She shook her head and paced about the room. "We are returning home."

"You may, I cannot."

"Excuse me, young lady?"

"I am to travel to Constantinople with King Cassius and the Earl of Nottingham."

"Another trip?" Her eyes were as big as saucers.

"Yes, mother. I believe he is also planning on taking father again."

"Why is he spending so much time with you? He has never been like this with another Lady." She pursed her lips and furrowed her brow deep in thought. "He loves you!"

"Don't be ludicrous, mother."

"It is the only thing that makes sense. He gives you gifts..."

"How do you know about the gifts? I've told no one."

"You wear them, Joselyn. I know your father and I have bought you no knew jewelry in some time. Where else would it come from?"

I closed my eyes slowly and opened them.

"He takes you on visits. He spends a majority of his time with you. The simple conclusion is that he is in love with you. I believe it will only be a matter of time he asks for your hand in marriage." She clasped her hands together in utter glee.

I was utterly annoyed.

"Lady Joselyn?" Angeline walked through the door carrying the most magnificent pink gown I'd ever seen.

"Angeline! Where on earth did you find a pink gown?"

"I have my ways. I have some changes to make to it. I'll bring it out in time for supper." She turned to leave but curtsied to mother first. "Lady Suffolk."