Chosen - Chapter Three

Chapter Three

I went to sleep just a short time later, anxious and nervous to leave with the king. I knew my duties. I had to protect him. Though I was not expecting it to be so soon.

Was that why he came in the first place? Why return so soon?

"Joselyn?" a very distant voice called my name. "Joselyn?"

"Hmm."

"It's time to wake up."

"Hmm."

My eyes shot open and I sat upright. "Is the king ready to leave?"

Claude laughed. "No, dear child. Not yet. But if you continue to sleep like this, he shall be. We are traveling to Calais today. Is everything ready?"

"Yes, Madame."

"Very well. She turned and hurried from the room in a flurry of crimson and gold fabric."

I climbed out of bed and poured water in a bowl to wash up. I was Claude's chief lady-in-waiting for the past four years, prior to I was simply a lady-in-waiting and a trainee assassin. I was a terrible lady-in-waiting. Claude always woke well before I did and tended to wake me. I never understood why she tolerated me as much as she did.

My mother placed me with Claude at the instance of the former queen of England, Elizabeth. Cassius's mother. She chose me as a babe to protect her son once he took the throne. She wanted a girl of noble birth who came from a family of noble warriors. My father, his father, and his father's father fought alongside the king and his ancestors in many battles. Cassius had been king for a few short years since his father's unexpected death. Unfortunately, my training was not complete. Not that I agreed.

In my time with Claude I learned to become invisible and how to watch the idiosyncrasies of those around me. I blended in and heard everything. The gown I'd chosen for the day was beautiful green damask with black embroidery; my personal favorite and my finest gown. Claude left a beautiful gold broach for me to wear. I ran my fingers over the jewels that encrusted the broach lightly. It looked similar, but I couldn't place where I'd seen it before.

I gathered with the group of maids in the queen's chamber. They were abuzz with excitement about our pending travels and King Cassius. Normally a king is welcomed on the day of arrival; however, Cassius kept his first day rather quiet and didn't tell anyone besides Francis. Considering he was recalling me to court already, I suppose that was for good reason.

"Can you believe the King of England is going to be at Calais?"

"He's so handsome."

"I heard he's still searching for a wife!"

I shouldn't have felt jealous at the thought of them wishing to be his queen. I could never be. I could never be anyone's wife. My life was dedicated to his protection and life.

"What about you, Joselyn? You're from his court. What do you think?" Clarice De La Clare asked, glaring at me.

The girl never liked me which was fine because the feeling was mutual.

"I haven't been in King Cassius's court for a very long time. Not since I was a small child visiting during Christmas Tide with my parents."

"That doesn't answer the question."

"I'm not sure, Clarice. I guess he's looking for a wife."

She rolled her eyes and went back to her gossip. I walked to the window that overlooked the entryway. I stood there for what felt like hours, watching. Carriages, horses, and the king's guards lined the drive. Trunks, boxes, and furniture were loaded into all the free space. The king and queen's horses were brought from the stables, regaled in their favorite colors, purple and gold.