Chosen - chapter thirty-two

Chapter Thirty-Two

I stood at the side of the bed looking over at Cassius. I never shared a bed with a man before. At least not while I was conscious. We pulled back the blankets and climbed in. My heart sped up as he reached his hand over to grab mine.

"Is this okay?" I asked.

"Why wouldn't it be?" he asked.

"We are not husband and wife."

"Would you like me to go?"

"No. Please stay."

I laid back against the pillows, watching him. Rolling toward Cassius I placed my head on his chest and closed my eyes. He was surprisingly comfortable.

"I'll stay as long as you want me," he whispered before kissing the top of my head.

"I will take care of the Guild when we return home. I want us to be together."

"Okay."

I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep, dreaming of a beautiful wedding and a life with a man I really loved.

Knocking at the chamber door drew me from the restful slumber. I yawned gazing up at the peacefully snoring man beside me. I rolled away from him and tiptoed to the door trying not to wake Cassius. Cracking the door, I peeked out at one of the house servants.

"Yes?"

"Would you like breakfast brought up?" he asked.

"Yes, please." I closed the door once he turned to leave.

"Who was that?" Cassius asked.

"You're awake. I was trying to be quiet. Breakfast is being brought up."

"Do you want me to leave?"

"No. Stay in bed. We can eat first. What time will be leaving for the palace?" I asked.

"Shortly. I'll order the carriage be brought round after we eat and get dressed."

I nodded and grabbed a light blue travel gown to change into. Peering around the sheer curtain, I watched Cassius remove his sleeping gown. A shiver ran up my spine at the sight of his body. The muscles in his back rippled with each movement he made. His chest resembled the statue David, only in color.

How can a man look like that?

He turned his head slightly, just enough for me to see the profile of his face. A crocked smile formed as he paused putting on his tunic.

"Everything all right?" he asked.

"Fine," I replied, my voice catching in my throat.

"Lady Joselyn?" a voice called from beyond my door.

"Enter," I called, pulling the gown over my head.

I quickly tied the ribbons at the side and walked out as a maid walked in.

Her eyes darted between Cassius and me. She blushed a bright shade of crimson as she dipped into a quick curtsy. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt, ma'am. I was told to bring up a tray of food."

"It's quite all right," I said.

"You may go," Cassius said, waving the girl off after she placed the silver platter on the table.

"Yes, majesty." She curtsied again and scurried away.

"You strike fear in people around you."

"I am the king."