Chosen - chapter sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Satisfied that mother was well enough away from my room I rolled out of bed and ran to the door. I pulled it open and peered out.

"Ma'am?" the guard standing outside asked.

"Why are you stationed outside these doors?" I demanded to know.

"Your mother ordered it, Lady Joselyn. She doesn't want you going anywhere without an escort."

"That meddlesome woman." I slammed the door shut and paced the room.

"Lady Joselyn, what's wrong?" my maid, Angeline asked.

"Guards. She ordered guards to watch me! Of all things! I don't need followed!"

"She only worries."

"She is a meddlesome woman."

"She is your mother."

I shook my head. The Guild didn't count on the power of my mother when they selected me. Fortunately, I've had time to perfect how to sneak around her. I sat on the bed as Angeline went through my dresses. She settled on a gold number trimmed in red. She helped me dress and dug out the red, satin slippers I wanted to wear for the day. She removed the ribbons from hair, letting the curls cascade down my back.

"You're not going out through the front door are you, Lady Joselyn?"

"No, Angeline, I'm not."

"You really shouldn't," she said, sitting down with her needlepoint.

I shrugged. "There's a lot I shouldn't do."

Angeline sat there shaking her head. I opened the patio door that led to the courtyard and walked into the sunlight. The rays warmed my chilled skin as I closed my eyes and lifted my head. Angeline popped her head out the door and watched after me.

"I wish you would stay," she called.

"I have to go," I replied.

"You don't have to do anything, Joselyn."

"I'll be fine, Angeline."

"I'm not worried about you not being fine. I'm worried about you being caught by others sneaking in to see the king. A man. You're an unmarried lady going to see a man alone. In secret."

"Angeline, what is so wrong with that?" I asked.

She shook her head and retreated inside.

"What do I tell your mother if she returns?" she asked, exasperated.

"I'm in the stool chamber. Sick."

She sighed heavily and nodded. "Yes, Lady Joselyn."

The courtyard was empty, giving me the time, I needed to getaway. Walking along the castle wall quickly, I kept my eyes down looking for the scrape marks where the wall wasn't what it seemed. I continued scanning the courtyard for anyone who may be watching my movements. I trusted no one in the castle beside Cassius.

There was too much sunlight spilling in from every angle. I'd have to be quick about sneaking into the passage. My heart thrummed against my chest as I ran my hand along the wall looking for the button to activate the mechanism within. I pushed on the brick and a click and movement of bricks let me know I was on the right track. I pressed myself against the stone next to the small passage that opened, waiting with bated breath. Once the space was big enough for me and the many layers of fabric to squeeze through, I went and threw all my weight against the wall. Picking up the skirts, I ran through the passageway, my footsteps echoing off the stone walls, toward Cassius's chambers. I paused at the wooden doorway that was his bookcase. Pressing my ear to the cool wood, I slowed my breathing and listened. There were voices. Cassius and someone else. He was arguing. I chewed my lip unsure if it were an attempt on his life that I should intervene on or someone he was simply arguing with.

"Cassius, give me a sign you need me," I whispered to myself.

"Just go!" he shouted.

A muffled voice, a slammed door, and I pushed open the bookcase.

"Joselyn! You scared me."

"Sorry. Who were you shouting at?"

"Don't worry about it. Family issues."

"Mary," I stated matter-of-factly.

He simply turned away from me. "It's nothing."

"If you say so." I sat in a large wing-backed chair near his fireplace and picked at a tray of cheese and fruits. "My mother has guards posted outside of my room now."

"She what?"

"Yes. I discovered them after she left." I popped a grape in my mouth and chewed slowly.

"How...you know what I don't want to know. I'll deal with them later. You don't need guards sitting on you."

"I know."

He took a velvet bag out of his desk drawer and handed it out to me. "My head steward dropped this off to me right after you left."

"What is it?" I asked.

"Something I had made for you."

I opened the flap of the bag and saw the most amazing brooch. It was twisted gold and silver rope with a diamond and ruby in the center.

"Cassius..."

"It's us. We're tied together. You and I. Forever."

"I...I don't know what to say," I stuttered.

"There is nothing to say. We've been together since day one. Friends. Assassin and king. Best friends. You do need to pack your trunks though. We leave in the morning for de le Mare's estates."

"Belle."

"Yes."

"Understood."

I turned toward the bookcase.

"Joselyn, before you go?"

"Yes?"

"I need to tell you something."

"What, Cassius."

He took a deep breath and crossed the room to me, grabbing my hand. "I want you to understand something."

"Okay."

"I love you. With every fiber of my being, I am yours wholly and truly."

"I know, Cassius, and I love you. As you said, we'll figure out a way to make things work. We just have to keep it quiet from the Guild. Otherwise, I'll disappear. Forever."

He kissed me lightly on the lips before I snuck behind the bookcase. My heart slammed against my chest as I clutched his beautiful gift to my breast.

What am I getting myself into?