Chosen - chapter forty-six

Chapter Forty-Six

"Suleiman, brother, I'm so sorry about the scoundrel who caused such a commotion for you."

"Yes. It was rather inconvenient," the sultan mumbled.

He kept his eyes on me. I smiled pleasantly and gave direction for the servants to place my trunks on the coach.

"Are you sure you won't see us off?" Cassius asked.

"I wish I could, unfortunately, we're still trying to track down the missing girl and the masked individual who stole her."

"That is so very terrifying. You are a brave man to keep going on. I do hope the girl is found soon," I replied, extending my hand to him.

"Thank you for the kind words, Lady Joselyn."

I hurried away from the sultan and climbed into the golden coach. It had been an impossibly long two days since Belle's rescue.

The carriage bumped along the dusty road heading toward the port.

Does it ever rain here?

The busy town coming into view within a matter of ten minutes. My heart leaped as I anticipated seeing my long-lost friend again.

"Can the driver go any faster?" I asked.

"We don't want to alarm him to anything out of the ordinary, Joselyn," Angeline said, resting her head against the back."

"I suppose."

The horses came to a stop a short distance from the dock. I hurried out without the aid of any men. I nodded my head toward the driver and fast-walked down the dock. Charles had departed the night before in order to ready the ship for the voyage. He waved from the helm; a smile spread from ear to ear. I glanced back at Angeline who had an equally large smile. Shaking my head, I strode up the gangplank, accepting his first mates' hand to step down.

"Where is she?" I asked feverishly.

"Below deck, Madame."

"Thank you," I called as I scurried across the deck to the stairs leading into the belly of the ship. "Belle?"

A door creaked, and a head of curls poked out. "Joselyn?"

"Belle!" I ran as fast as I could down the tight hallway completely forgetting where I was.

She emerged from the room and ran towards me. We met bodies colliding, halfway. We wrapped our arms around each other and cried.

"I never thought I'd see you again!" I sobbed into her shoulder.

"I was sure I'd never see you again!" she cried right back. "How did you find me? Why did you wear those black clothes two nights back? Why did you push me off the castle? Where did you learn how to fight?"

"Stop asking questions. Tell me you're okay."

"I'm okay now. They tried so hard for so long to break me. I wouldn't give in though. I knew someone would come for me. I knew Robert would never forget. Or you."

"I couldn't let that horrid bastard husband of yours get away with selling you. I'm so sorry he was so awful."

"Robert said that the Pope is going to grant me a divorce! I can't believe it. I'll finally be free."

"I'm so glad, Belle. You have no idea how happy that makes me."

"Now will you answer my questions?"

"Don't worry about it. All that is important is that you're safe and we're minutes away from leaving this place. Stay below deck until land is out of sight."