Chosen - chapter forty-nine

Chapter Forty-Nine

The sun shone down upon the ship that morning with luster, lighting up everything aboard. I strolled about, staring at the amazing decorations of white and pink fabrics, red and white flowers, and candles placed in just the right places. A long table sat off to one side with tall candelabras covered in ivy.

The seamstresses from town arrived, carrying large parcels. The dresses.

"Good morrow!" the short, plump one called. She dropped the brown, parcel into my arms. "Where are the rest of the ladies?"

"Uh, I believe still abed."

"That simply will not do! Take us to them."

I nodded and led them below deck. I showed the younger girl to Angeline's room, the plump one to Belle's, and the eldest to mine.

"We shall get you ready."

"Okay."

I stood in my room and removed the robe and sleeping garment I'd had on. The woman unwrapped the parcel and situated all of the layers. I pulled on the silk chemise as the woman arranged the petticoat for me to step in to. The bodice seemed tighter than before, the skirt longer, and the gown even more beautiful.

I tugged at the waist of the dress in a feeble attempt to be more comfortable.

The seamstress smacked my hands down. "Stop fussing! You'll wrinkle the fabric."

"I'd rather it be wrinkled and able to breathe," I muttered. "Why can't we ever have gowns that allow us to breath?"

She shook her head and put a silver and sapphire diadem in the mess of curls I woke up with. She pinned a few up and around the ornamental headpiece. She unwrapped a small bag with various make-ups in it. She applied powder to my face, shadow to my eyes, and rogue to my lips.

"There. You look like a princess."

I turned to look in the mirror. She was right. I did look like a princess.

"I am no princess. I am simply a girl playing pretend," I said softly.

I turned and left the woman standing in the room alone. On deck, I saw Robert standing under the trellises that Charles had made. He looked handsome in a silver doublet and black breeches. His black boots reached to his knees. The silver and black chemise popped out from under the doublet. Cassius wore a doublet of red, the chemise was a beautiful gold with red trim. His breeches were black with red stitched throughout. His boots reached his strong, muscular thighs. Charles wore breeches of navy blue, a doublet of matching fabric, with a white chemise. His boots reached his knees while the cloak he wore hung from one shoulder, secured with a gold chain.

Angeline stood beside him, looking like a true lady.

Cassius dipped into a bow as I approached. He gently took my hands in his, kissing them. "You look like a queen."

"I was told a princess." I faked as good a smile as I could.

"No, a queen."

"I'm no queen, Cassius. I'm just a girl in love with a king."

"You are a queen, and I have a big surprise for you once we return to court."

"A surprise? What is it?" I asked.

"Oh, I can't ruin it for you."

I pursed my lips and looked toward the stairs. Belle emerged in the amazing pink gown. A veil of gold and pink covered her face. She walked down the aisle lined with the bouquets we'd made the previous day. The sadness that had filled my heart lifted. I couldn't help but smile and be happy as I watched my friend marry the man she truly loved. I stared across the aisle at Cassius who stood with his hands clasped behind his back. His crown of gold, whose spires rose above his head, surrounded with fine jewels rested on his brow. The chain that rested on his shoulders was also gold with circlets of twisted metal alternated with large white gemstones of some sort. He dipped his head to me, smiled, and turned to face the couple.