Forty Four: Squid Friend

The mood the next morning in Hogwarts as a whole was a lazy happiness.

Everyone seemed quite relieved and happy, and very tired, so the bustling of the teachers seemed like nothing out of the ordinary for most, just teachers being teachers, but for Cedric and Ella the reality was clear.

Everyone tried to keep Crouch's death under wraps until they knew anything apart from being found dead at the forest by Ella.

By the time the first day of term rolled around, Malfoy had to admit he almost forgotten the sound of Ella's voice. 

They sat at breakfast, Malfoy telling Goyle about the ridiculous joke Crabbe told him this morning (something about an old man and a parrot), when Cedric stopped by to sit by Ella. Malfoy noted he's rarely seen Cedric at breakfast, and supposed Ella might've had a point in him having a compulsive need to be early.

"The ministry's talking about it." Cedric told her. "My dad sent me a letter, they know we were there too, so I think the investigation's getting real."

Ella nodded, silent. 

"Hey guys," he grinned at Slytherins. "Dressed properly? Today's a cold one," Malfoy nodded, looking between the couple. 

"Potter," Ella whispered, and Cedric looked at the entrance to the hall. Harry, along with Hermione and Ron, was entering the hall, looking tired. Cedric nodded, kissing her cheek.

"See you later babe, I've gotta talk to him."

Ella sat quietly, barely eating, and simply followed the Slytherins as they stood up to go to the first class. It was snowing outside, and true to Cedric's words, it was a cold day.

"Hurry up, now, the bell rang five minutes ago," an unfamiliar voice barked as Ella trailed behind the Slytherins.

"Who're you?" said Ron, staring at her. "Where's Hagrid?"

 "My name is Professor Grubbly-Plank," she said briskly. "I amyour temporary Care of Magical Creatures teacher." 

"Where's Hagrid?" Harry repeated loudly. 

"He is indisposed," said Professor Grubbly-Plank shortly. 

Soft and unpleasant laughter rose from the Slytherins, and none of them looked surprised tosee Professor Grubbly-Plank. 

"This way, please," said Professor Grubbly-Plank, and she strode off around the paddock where the Beauxbatons horses were shivering. The class followed her, and Ella glanced at Hagrid's hut.

 All the curtains were closed.

The Slytherins were gleeful to hear Hagrid was a half-giant, and while Ella didn't mind it, she was glad that whoever found it out was too busy with this juicy gossip to find out a certain Mr. Crouch has been murdered on school grounds.

 "What's wrong with Hagrid?" Harry said, hurrying to catch upwith Professor Grubbly-Plank. 

"Never you mind," she said as though she thought he was beingnosy. 

"I do mind, though," said Harry hotly. "What's up with him?" 

Professor Grubbly-Plank acted as though she couldn't hear him.She led them past the paddock where the huge Beauxbatons horseswere standing, huddled against the cold, and toward a tree on theedge of the forest, where a large and beautiful unicorn was tethered.

 Many of the girls "ooooohed!" at the sight of the unicorn."Oh it's so beautiful!" whispered Lavender Brown. "How did sheget it? They're supposed to be really hard to catch!"

The unicorn was so brightly white it made the snow all aroundlook gray. It was pawing the ground nervously with its goldenhooves and throwing back its horned head."Boys keep back!" barked Professor Grubbly-Plank, throwingout an arm and catching Harry hard in the chest.