Thirty Five: Starting an Adventure

"Those hoof-prints are really odd," Ella agreed.

"Let's go further into the forest," Filch said simply, stroking Mrs. Norris fur. They stood in a small clearing in the Forbidden forest, about ten minute of walking from Hagrid's hut. Hagrid started tracking the hoof-prints when the three took care of Madam Maxime's Abraxans, with Snape telling her the punishment for the way she behaved was full-days detentions on Saturdays.

Including her birthday.

"Are we sure it's a good idea to go just the three of us?" she wondered as she stood up. "I mean, you're a squib, you're not allowed to use magic, even though we all know you do," Hagrid coughed, placing his umbrella behind his back bashfully, "and I'm a seventeen years old witch who is a four year in her education. We have no idea what's waiting there."

"Yer right, Ella," Hagrid hummed, "This creature is possibly dangerous."

"We're growing a dragon," Filch growled. "I think we're fine."

The three exchanged a look, when Mrs. Norris meowed.

"You're right, Mrs. Norris," Filch put her on the ground, "Grey, you're better with magic than you get credit for, and Hagrid has more meat on him. Mrs. Norris and I will be fine if the creature is hungry."

Ella and Hagrid exchanged a look, before Ella shrugged.

"I say we go grab a sandwich and then head deeper in," Ella agreed. "Dobby?" she called into the air, and Filch jumped in fright when a house-elf appeared. He was covered in scarves. "Dobby?"

"Ms. Ella?"

"Uh," she scratched her cheek. "I know Poppy's feeling a bit under the weather, so could you please do me a favour and give us some-- OH MY GOD! Dobby, you should really join us in our adventure!"

"Adventure?" Dobby wondered.

"Look," Ella pointed at the ground, where hoof prints led farther into the forest. "These are hoof-prints none of us know."

"Well, they do seem familar..." Hagrid muttered.

"Adventure?" Dobby repeated. "So, Dobby will bring snacks, and meet you here in a few minutes!" he assured, and disappeared with a crack.

"We're losing the critter," Filch groaned. "These hoofprints are pretty fresh."

"We won't lose it that quickly," Ella rolled her eyes, "it's a big creature, but having Dobby with us would be helpful. He can apparate inside of Hogwarts, and he's got powerful magic. Dobby is really brave and good company, and he's good food. Kazan-kazan," she shrugged.

"Kazan kazan?" Filch repeated, and then Ella grinned.

"Sorry, win-win."

Dobby appeared again a moment letter, holding Ella's spare bag that was filled with food and water. "I hope Fang'll be okay alone with Koda and Jorgitha," he sighed.

Ella crouched again, and suddenly gasped, "look! There's fur there!" she pointed at a tree, "and blood?" she asked, and the group hurried to the tree.

"Maybe we should get Fang."

"He's scared of yer cat."

"Get him!" Filch said loudly, and Hagrid frowned.

"No."

"Stop!" Ella called. "I don't think Fang'll be helpful here, he's too scared of many things in the forest. I think we could make it on our own."

"What if we don't?"

"Then Dobby will bring Fang," the house-elf smiled. "I say we go."

"I second that," Ella smiled as well. "Let's go!"