Chapter 26 - "Prince charming or Angel's brute?..."

"Everything happened so rapidly that I can't even realise the feeling properly. I touch my hair partition and feel the sindoor (Vermilion). I have actually become Mrs Nandita Manik Malhotra. Last night it was my precious dream and today it is the most cherished reality. But why he took this decision so abruptly? He was looking so tensed and vulnerable this morning when he popped the question. I have never seen him so desperate. Last time he was a bit reclusive about our marriage when I asked for it. That time I could understand his dilemma. He was not sure about my mental and health condition. But today I couldn't comprehend his opposite behaviour. Manik you are really a mystery to me. I look outside the car window. He is coming down from the temple stairs. My husband is looking dapper in this groom attire. My cheeks turn pink."

Manik opens the car door and gets inside. Sitting beside Nandini he commands Ayan,

"Drop us at the farmhouse Ayan. After that, you can go to the office. I will join you tomorrow."

"Yes, Sir..."

Ayan replied robotically. The car speeds to its destination. Nandini looks at Manik from the corner of her eyes...secretly. After becoming husband and wife they haven't addressed each other for once. Maybe he is conscious of the presence of Ayan. Still, it is bothering Nandini a bit. Manik's clenched jaws and static eyes to the front road are sending an uncanny discomfort to her. His left hand is resting on his knee. The fingers are tapping on it frequently, indicating his fidget. Nandini slowly crawls her hand towards him and hesitantly places it on his hand. Manik turns at her with a baffled face.

"Something bothering you? Is everything alright?"

Nandini tries to maintain a low voice as much as possible. In reply, Manik only throws a formal grin and wobbles in denial.

"Congratulations, Mrs Malhotra. Finally, it happened."

He utters with satisfaction.

"Yes, finally, it happened and how!"

Nandini replies with a smile. However, it has so much diffidence.

.....................................................

"I asked you a simple question Prasad. Did Manik Malhotra meet Nandini personally that day?"

Venkatesh Murthy's voice raises high.

"Venkatesh, I told you that Mr Malhotra came to survey our school and at that time Nandini was one of the teachers. So, it is obvious that he saw her. What's a big deal?"

HM Prasad tries to normalise the heat. But in reality, he is shaken from inside.

"Why is this desperate fellow enquiring about Manik? Did the police come to know anything?"

His mind calculates.

"Prasad, I am not talking about seeing. I know he must have seen her but did they meet personally? Did they talk or spend anytime... Alone?"

Venkatesh sounds agitated because it's evident that HM Prasad is trying to avoid his question. Venkatesh has something in his eyes which makes Prasad stare down.

"Ye....yes. I mean Nandini escorted him to show him the library. Maybe they talked that time...I don't know. She insisted to take the responsibility to impress Mr Manik and I didn't deny."

HM Prasad says without looking into his so-called friend's eyes. For a moment, Venkatesh observes him.

"Hmmmm....I understood. Okay, I got to go now."