Chapter 48 - "Musical memories..."

Panchgani

                      Panchgani

"Paachgani or Panchgani is a hill station situated in the southeast of. It means 'land between five villages.' The scenic beauty soothes our eyes and soul. I take out my face through the car window to feel the cold gust on my face. Perhaps it was raining some time ago. The road is wet and the air is moist. The mountain peaks are looking like arrow tips. I keep my eyes high on the cloudy sky. Manik is reclining on the seat closing his eyes. We have left Mumbai at 5 am. Now, it's around 9 o'clock in the morning. Ayan is driving silently. According to him, we will reach by 9:30 am. SP Bhosle has arranged his special team to give protection and surveillance to the bungalow where we are going to stay. I didn't inform anyone about this movement; not even my family. I don't know what am I doing. I only know that I am doing all this according to the demand of the situation. Once he gets well, I will leave. Only then, the car jerks on a speed breaker and Manik moans in a suppressed voice. My hand automatically touches the bandage on his head. He opens his eyes and palely smiles at me. I release a deep sigh. I don't know how will I muster the broken pieces of my heart after leaving him? This dilemma is killing me. He grabs my hand and entwines his fingers with mine. A content smile beams into his eyes. He again shuts his eyes with a peaceful sigh."

"Sorry, Ma'am..this road has so many bumpers. I didn't notice."

Ayan apologises keeping his eyes on the road ahead. Nandini utters a subtle 'it's ok' and again asks,

"Ayan, you have informed the caretaker that we are coming, right?"

"Yes, Ma'am. He knows. I even arranged a cook. He will come every morning and cook and will return to his village at night."

Ayan informs. Nandini utters a low hum and again looks outside of the window.

..................................................

"Right now, I am feeling that I am going on our honeymoon. At some point, it is right. If that night Nandini hadn't left me, we would have gone for our honeymoon. I arranged everything. I sigh disappointedly. But better late than never. Panchgani's bungalow is a good place to spend a peaceful time with Angel. Only she and I. I smile inwardly. However, discomfort is constantly poking my consciousness. I know this togetherness is not permanent. She will leave me as soon as I get well. But I can't afford this. Life has given me the second chance to have her in my life. I won't lose it. And for that, if I have to be unwell forever, I will be. I spent my partial teenage here after my Dad and Mom died. Dad wanted me to study in a boarding school but Mom always turned down this idea. I knew she can't live a moment without seeing me. Neither I could. But I had to. We can't fight with our destiny. Suddenly the car jerks and I feel a pang in my head. Immediately her hand touches my forehead. Sometimes I wonder how will she live her life without me? She is escaping from her feeling. I know I did so much wrong with her, but it is also true that I love her like anything. She has taught me what love is and now she can't leave me incomplete. For a second, my devil mind roars. I take her hand and entwine my fingers with hers to simmer down my restlessness. I need her to control this devil inside me. She is my drug to dominate my insanity. I close my eyes in peace. Most of the time we tame our demons, other times they tame us."