Chapter 40 - "Angel's heart..."

"When I come back to my home the Sun almost sinks under the horizon. I was not prepared for Ayan and our talks took unpredictable times. I stealthily enter my house. However, I am lucky that Appa hasn't come back yet from his press. I tiptoe to Amma's room and become satisfied to see her sleeping with Rishu till now. I was about to enter my room when a sight makes me halt. I and Manvi share this small bedroom. When I left to meet Ayan, that time she was not at home. Perhaps she was in her college or in school. But right now, she is standing in front of the mirror. Well, it is not any rare view but she is admiring herself in the mirror. She is wearing the necklace which Manik gave me as his mother's blessing. I don't know what happened to me but the sight ignites the fire inside my head. I always ignore and avoid Manvi's all indecency and insolence but today she touched the line of my patience. I have nothing to do with this necklace but I have definitely something to the emotion of a mother and she can't play with that. I storm inside and come in front of her. She startles for a second but immediately gathers her words."

"Oh..so, you are back. Does Amma know that you went outside or you sneaked out? Di, hats off to you. After so much, you have the courage to go outside all alone. If I had been in your position, I would have locked myself in this room for my entire life."

Her perennial rude words can't pierce Nandini's heart this time. She points at the necklace and utters ruefully,

"Who gave you the permission to wear this? This is someone's bailment. Someone's love and blessing. You have no right to wear it so casually. Please give it to me. I don't know how I forgot about this. I will have to return it, Manvi. Take it off."

Nandini forwards her hand to touch the necklace. Manvi steps back a bit and scoffs,

"Wait..wait...love and blessing! Whose? Your so-called husband Manik Malhotra's? When you are so much concerned about him then why are you doing all this drama? Just go away and live us peacefully. If I tell Amma and Appa that you secretly went to meet that rascal what will be their reaction? If I have no right to wear this then you have no right to ditch us. Sorry, Di..but I must say that you are a big hypocrite. In front of Appa and Amma you say that you hate Manik Malhotra and you will never go back to him but in reality, you still care for him. Otherwise, you will let him die in jail..."

Her words get halt as Nandini's palm contacts Manvi's cheek with a loud thud sound.

"Shut up..who are you to tell if a person will live or die? If he has done anything wrong, he did it to me. I am the person to judge him. Not you. If Appa and Amma question me, I will give them an answer. I am not answerable to you. Do you understand? Don't cross your limit. Or else..."

Manvi was about to counter when Jaya's voice halts both of them,

"What the hell is going on? Is this a fish market that you both are fighting like two cheap girls? Don't you know Rishav can't bear this kind of shouts and tension at home?"

Manvi makes faces at her words and replies,

"When your favourite daughter Nandini Murthy is here then how can this house be tension free?"

Jaya nears them and chides at Manvi,

"Nowadays you forgot what to say to whom. Nandini is your elder sister and you should behave like a younger sister to her. Say sorry!"

Her tone has a command.

"No need Amma. She is a grown-up girl. She knows what is right and what is wrong. You just tell her to give this necklace back to me. I have to return it back to Manik."

Nandini demands with determination. Only then, Jaya notices the neckpiece in Manvi's neck. She frowns at it and asks Nandini,

"For that, you have to meet him. Will you meet him again?"