Chapter 1 -" Two worlds..."

Manik Malhotra

                                                                              Manik Malhotra

                                                                   Nandini Murthy
............................

"Ma'am...Ma'am, I swallowed the eraser."

The small kid says to me.

"What?"

My reaction is instant.

"Come, try to vomit. Your stomach will pain. VOMIT."

My voice touches the highest pitch.

"But it was tasty. I want more...I want more...I want more..."

His voice keeps on ringing in my ear. I am trying to observe his faded face but all I can hear the voice,

"I want more..."

Nandini opens her eyes with a jerk. Gosh, it was a dream. But wait! That voice is still coming from this room. She looks around just to find her little brother Rishav. He is arguing with their mother Jaya. Nandini gets up on the bed.

"Amma, what is he demanding for? Give him...You know how stubborn he becomes during the morning."

Nandini whines.

"Yeah...stubbornness doesn't see poverty. Otherwise, your lower-middle-class brother never has the taste of a rich kid."

Her retort annoys Nandini. Rishav is autistic. All know that these kinds of children remain stubborn. What if he is demanding more mangoes? Can't Jaya fulfil this small wish? She bought some mangoes yesterday with her salary.

"Amma, Rishav is not a normal child. How does he know that a lower-middle-class child can eat only one mango a day?"

Nandini smiles while rubbing her eyes. They are still itching with a lack of sleep.

"Why have you got up so early? Today is your off...right?

Jaya frowns while starts peeling one more mango to stop Rishav's nagging.