Chapter 5 - "The prey..."

"Before I could register anything, I am yanked inside a car. The car door closes with a thud and it speeds up towards a destination totally unknown to me. Two strong hands grab my arms and another hand tries to gag me with a kerchief. Though the inside of the car is dark I could feel the presence of at least 4 people. I am dumped in the back seat with two men. The sweet intoxicating smell of the kerchief makes me dizzy for a moment. No, you can't surrender like this. My rebellious subconscious nudges me. I gather my all strength and kick the man trying to palm my mouth. Simultaneously, I try to free my hands by biting those hands. The scuffle increases when I fist his hair and pull it with all my vigour. But all of a sudden my dupatta is getting tightened around my neck and one of the men starts garroting me. The person near my lower body tries to clutch my defiant legs. I keep on trying to kick his face. The pressure on my neck is gradually making me weak, struggling for some air. Is this the end of my life...? For the last time I try to shove those hands on my neck but something hits my side head with a sickening thud dragging me into a never-ending dark tunnel. It is peaceful yet intimidating. The darkness is consuming me, making my eyes shut slowly; leaving my limbs numb...I am getting lost in the eternal darkness...."

"Turn on the light...she is not responding anymore."

A hoarse voice commands. Within a second, the interior car light flickers to life. The man sitting near Nandini's head places his two fingers under her nostrils.

"Still breathing but it's very shallow. What's the need to hit her on the head? Now, what are we going to tell Ayan Sir? Rajesh, call Ayan Sir and tell him that this Madam had an accident. Should we go straight to the farmhouse or to some doctor?"

The man orders the person sitting on the passenger seat and starts examining Nandini once again. He places her head on the seat and takes out his kerchief. Nandini is lying lifelessly. Her half face is covered with hair. The man removes the hair strand and the site makes him lick his dry lips in shock. The half portion of her face is smeared with thick blood trailing to the neckline of the kurti. One of his eyes is also covered with blood. The site is heart sinking. He ties the kerchief on Nandini's head with inexpert hands and loosens the dupatta which is still around her neck.

"Who told you to hit? I was managing....right? Gradually she was giving up..."

He again scolds the man in a low voice who is sitting on the other side of the seat.

"So what should I do? She was continuously kicking my face...my..."

He touches his lower portion where the sun doesn't shine.

"I got the spanner lying under the seat and I just lost my control..."

He wipes his sweat beads forming on his forehead.

"Fine!... Explain this to Ayan Sir. Do you have any idea what would be the consequences if anything serious happens to her? Will he be able to save us from Manik Sir's wrath?"

The person who is now wiping Nandini's blood from her face again lashes out on his partner.

"I am turning off the light as if anyone sees us with this girl in this condition...we will reach straight to the police station."

The driver says and switches off the interior light. The man named Rajesh is trying to connect Ayan and finally gets the line. After a brief conversation, he cuts the call and informs,

"Ayan Sir told to get her at the farmhouse only. He is calling the doctor. Guys, he was hell disturbed to hear this. I don't know what are you going to face?"

He halts for a second seems some other thought clouds his mind. He again says,

"I have an idea. Let's go to the farmhouse and dump her there without meeting or informing anybody and go underground for a couple of months. Guys, I don't want to face Manik Sir. He will shoot us then and there."