Chapter 13 - " The repentance..."

"I don't want to enter her room. But when my mind gains the conscience I find myself in front of her bed. She is lying...possessed with deep slumber. The rise and fall of her chest is indicating her tranquillity. She is in her dreamland where there is no brute like me. Where her angelic heart is not scared of any monster. My vision gets blurred. Surprisingly I feel a pang in my chest. She is happy without me. An angel is safe without her brute. I near the bed and unmindfully perch beside her. She is beautiful..her face is divine. But what is this? Why is she grimacing her beautiful face? Is she having pain? Having some nightmare? My thought breaks when she unfurls her dreamy eyes. Some seconds of silence. Her eyes fall on me and they change into fear. She let out a scream and tries to get up. But it is not good for her health. I grab her shoulder and push her to lie down. She flinches and pleads to let her go. Her eyes have fear...for whom? Definitely for me. I have scared her a lot. Guilt rushes to my throat. I softly say I am sorry, I didn't want to hurt you. My inner God must have chuckled at me. But I don't care. She is feeble and I have to care."

Nandini is taken aback for a moment. Her dazed mind is gradually putting all the pieces of the puzzle into places. She stretches her hand to touch his face.

"Manik..."

Her voice is laced with concern and pain. Manik glances at her hand and realizes the reason for her fear and worry. There are bloodstains in her hand. Manik looks at her in surprise, trying to grok if she is hurt somewhere but at the next moment understands the whole thing. He touches his face with his wounded hand. Most probably his face is carrying the blood mark. He immediately tries to hide his injured hand but can't succeed entirely. Nandini holds his hand and pulls it near to her to examine it properly.

"Nothing...a minor cut. It will be fine..automatically."

Manik again tries to pull it back with a lame excuse.

"No wound can be healed automatically. We need to care about it. Otherwise, it becomes a scar forever."

Nandini softly says tries to get down from the bed. Her intention is to reach the cupboard for the first aid box but due to the effect of high dose sedative, she staggers and closes her eyes.

"Be careful.."

Two powerful hands balance her with a yell. Nandini loosens her body and rests her head on Manik's chest. She is too weak to even stand properly. Manik makes her sit again on the bed and reaches the glass of water kept on the side table.

"Wash...your hand...the...box..."

Nandini meeks out indicating the cupboard with her shaking hand.

"I will...but first you lie down. You need to rest. This stress is not good for your health."

Manik says with concern and makes her gulp some water. Nandini can't defy this time, neither she has the power. She places herself on the bed again, reclined. However, her eyes are still commanding him to follow her order. A grin of satisfaction and amusement crept on his lips. After a long time, anyone is claiming right on him. Manik takes out the first aid box and washes his wound with the antiseptic lotion. But it is not easy to tie a bandage with a single hand. Again and again, he fails.

"Damn..."

A cry of dissatisfaction comes out of his mouth. Till now Nandini was observing him. This man always shows his power. Always tries to dominate others but at the same time, he is timid to reveal his vulnerability. Nandini rests her hand on his bandage and slowly lifts her body. Manik tries to forbid but she blinks her eyes to say that she is okay. Gently she ties the bandage and looks at him.