Chapter 45 -"Following the heart..."

"I hesitantly open the lawn gate. It only takes 15 to 20 steps to reach our main door but it seems the longest distance to cover today. Manik will be discharged by the evening. Ayan and Abhiroop Agnihotri have taken all the responsibilities and now I am a bit relaxed. As the doctor insisted on 24x7 supervision, I have taken this adverse decision to stay with him for some days. During that gun battle, I realised that I can't see him suffering like this. I can't leave him to die. I know this is my love for him but I can't deny it anymore. Simultaneously I know that I can't live with him forever. My mind and logic don't permit it. I will stay there for a certain period and will do my duty. After that, I shall leave him forever. If my parents won't accept me anymore then I will leave this city. I will find my place somewhere in this big world. I make my mind. I have come here to tell Appa and Amma that I will stay at his house until he gets well. I have to tell them what happened at the court after Appa left. I hope they will understand. I try to convince my dubious mind. After mustering courage, I press the doorbell and Amma opens the door. Her eyes have mixed feelings as she was expecting me though there are anger, suspicion and anguish. I take a deep sigh to confront her."

"Whom do you want? I think you don't have anyone here. Please go."

Jaya Murthy's words lash on Nandini's face. She gathers her courage and replies,

"Amma, I have come here to tell something. Please listen to me. After that, I won't request you to forgive me."

Now, Venkatesh's voice is heard from behind,

"So, you have admitted that you have done a mistake and for that you need forgiveness?"

Nandini looks at Jaya's behind and meets Venkatesh's piercing eyes.

"Yes, Appa I have done a mistake by letting my parents' hope down. I have made a mistake by not listing to them but I have not made any mistake to take this decision because you told me to go with my heart and I did that. Appa, Manik's life is in danger. He was attacked in police custody and even today at the court premises, some gunmen shot him. Though the police suspect that it was for me. But he saved me and got injured again. He is in hospital, Appa and the doctor said he needs extra care. Someone has to be with him by 24 hours."

Nandini tells in one go. She is still standing on the threshold. However, Jaya nears her with worried eyes when she heard that she was aimed at by someone.

"Why did they shoot you? What have you done? These all are happening because of that rich brat. He won't let us live peacefully."

Jaya mouths restlessly and skirts her worried eyes all over her daughter's body if she got hurt by anyhow.

"Let her come inside. I don't think she has come here to inform us only about this."

Venkatesh affirms with a stone grave tone. Jaya stands aside and Nandini enters with a slow gait. She stares up to connect her timid eyes to her father.

"He needs 24 hours care and I think you are going to nurse him...isn't it?"

Venkatesh's rigid words make Nandini ball her fingers in fear and worry. But before she replies anything, Jaya chides,

"Impossible! How could you take this decision? I still can't understand why have you withdrawn your case against him? Perhaps you want to forget all things and want to move on in life. But how could you think that you will live with that monster once again and we will permit that? He is rich and powerful. He must have many servants to take care of. Why are you taking this responsibility? It can't be...no, it simply can't be."

"He doesn't have anyone, Amma who can take care of him as per the doctor's instruction. And this is not only about his health, instead, about his life. He can be attacked again...anytime. Someone has to attend him 24x7."