Chapter 43 - "The exemption..."

"My eyes meet hers. She is wearing a simple off-white chiffon churidar and she is looking ethereal. The dupatta is veiled her entire head and face like a hijab (a head covering worn in public by some Muslim women). Only her eyes are visible. Those kohl eyes surrounded by long lashes stare at me for a while and then get fixed to the Magistrate. She has come in disguise. My sin has forced her to hide her identity. The thought churns my heart. The Magistrate nods in positive and gestures her to sit. Venkatesh Murthy's face is emotionless. It seems that though he was expecting her daughter he is not happy to see her at the court. Nandini nears the table and gently occupies the vacant seat. Slowly she unveils her face and head. I am gazing at her, mesmerised. Her eyes are red and swollen. Perhaps she has cried a lot. My brows furrow in a query. I can see she is in pain. She is still battling with her mind and heart and all these happened because of me. Suddenly, something is torn inside my head and I chide before she can say anything."

"Why her witness is required when I accepted my crime? I repeat...I kidnapped her, I married her keeping her in dark, I took her advantage as a husband and I molested and physically abused her to the extent that she had to leave my house. There is no confusion in it."

Manik sounds restless as he wants this courtroom drama to be over as soon as possible so that his Angel doesn't have to bear this agony for a long. Manik's lawyer Raman Sundaram immediately intervenes,

"Sir, my client is not in his full sense as you can see, he has a head injury. Since last night he is hallucinating and maundering. I plead for bail as he is unwell."

Manik doesn't pay any heed to his words and looks straight to the Magistrate. His eyes have the determination or to some extent, obstinance.

"Sir, do you think I am telling all these because of any head injury? I am as healthy and conscious as I used to be. My every word is true. I..."

But this time his words get interrupted by Nandini's firm voice,

"He may be in his full sense but he is lying. He didn't do anything to me whatever the list he gave. I met him at that time when I lost my memory. He gave me shelter and food. He even saved my life by donating his blood. Gradually we fell in love and he married me. Whatever relationship we had was totally consensual. He never forced himself on me. However, I gained my lost memory and being unable to recognise him as my husband I tried to leave his house. That time he tried to stop me and unfortunately, I slipped from the staircase and got hurt. When I reached my home my Appa Mr Venkatesh Murthy became shocked to see me as I was missing for 4 months. I was confused and was not being able to figure out what is happening to me. In this confusion, I filed this case against my husband. My decision hurt him a lot. He surrendered and admitted all the allegations which were baseless. He did it because he loves me and can't see me in pain. But gradually my mental condition became stable and I realised my mistake. He is innocent. He is lying just to prove me right. I am sorry, Sir. I want to withdraw this case. I have no complaint against my husband. I am sorry to waste the valuable time of the honourable court. But my mental condition was not well. This is my medical report. It proves that not Mr Manik Malhotra rather I was mentally ill."

Nandini takes a deep breath after finishing her statement in one go. A pin-drop silence engulfs the room. Everybody is so stunned and scandalised that they even forget to take a breath. Only then, Manik breaks the dead silence,

"It's a lie! What nonsense are you talking about, Nandini? You know very well that it is an utter lie. You just want me to save. Why? Why are you doing this to you?"

Nandini turns at him with determined eyes. She meets Manik's pleading eyes and addresses the Magistrate with full conviction,

"I already gave my witness, Sir. I think now he can be acquitted from every charge."