37.

Song: Flames - Avril Lavigne ft MOD SUN

........................................

Nate

"And what about this one?" Kimmy unrolled a new tie from the drawer, and I had to suppress a snort at the pattern.

"Flowers? Really?"

"Oh, I'm so sorry. Does it offend your manliness?" she dropped it to the side with the rest of the discarded ones, ignoring my narrowed gaze.

"It's not that." I tugged the collar of the only white shirt I owned, doing the top button much to my dismay. I didn't like it, I felt almost suffocated, with that and the tux jacket I borrowed from Seth... I felt so out of place. Just another thing to add to the list why this stupid ball was being a real pain. And on top of that Kimmy thought I needed a fucking tie as well. A tie! I'd never worn one before. "I guess I prefer plain colors?"

"Right," she scoffed playfully, scrolling through the drawer. "Like that makes it any easier. You know how many plain ties my father owns?"

"I'm guessing a lot?"

"And you're guessing right." she nodded, grabbing two fists full of those little pieces of cloth and taking heavy steps to sit in the king size bed of her parents, huffing tiredly.

My brows pursed, the easy-going mood shifting a bit at her gesture. Even with that beautiful gown, the make up and the laborious upsweep; I bet everything she was hiding dark bags and hollow cheeks. She was getting worst, I could tell. But she still claimed there was nothing wrong.

"Are you okay?"

"Mhm." she blinked it away, sending me a half grin and proving my point. "Just really tired." Liar, but I could only pursed my lips, holding back because I know if I pressed too much she would close off and refuse to even come to the Ball at all. "Come on, pick one already or Seth is gonna think we've fallen sleep." she joked fiddling with the ones she'd taken and I smirked at her.

"Sure, we wouldn't want your date to feel left out, uh? Or he might camp again." her face flustered a bit, and I tilted my head, amused at her unusual blush. Shy and Kimmy weren't two concepts that fit together that well.

"He told you?"

"That he camped at your door until you stop ignoring us and accept to be his date? Nop, I guessed it all." I smirked and the girl shook her head

"I wasn't ignoring him... nor you." she gave me a pointed look. "I wasn't feeling well, I've told you." and her lips tugged into a light smile. "That was so cute of him, tho."

I had to take all my will power not to grimace for Seth. Kimberly said 'cute' as in 'so friendly, adorable cute', not as in 'I'd jump his bones cute'. I believed that wasn't what my friend was aiming at when he insisted on taking her to the ball. It took him a lot of courage and perseverance and yet she found him cute.