1.

Song: Complicated - Avril Lavigne

........................................

Hailey

"No no no. Please Mrs Glennson anything but that." I pleaded already knowing there was nothing else I could do. I could drop to my knees and swear I'd pay her with my first born and she still wouldn't drop it. She was like that. Once she's made her mind up to something there was nothing I could do to change it. Nor me, not anyone.

"I'm sorry miss Grace but all the remain departments are covered." the English teacher -aka Roosevelt Daily's redactor- pretended to analyse the list with different tasks, but we both knew she indeed wasn't. "I get that you just have a really stressful week with your... father's situation, but the first student that applies is the one that got the topic." she lifted one shoulder as I squirmed uncomfortably in my seat. "We always work like that, now don't we?"

One of the worst things about having my mother as the school's counselor, was that she befriended the entire teacher body. Not only that, they know about my personal life almost as much as myself. Sometimes it could get awkward. Like, really. But well, this is a small town. Everyone knows everyone and there's nothing you could do against it.

So yeah, this past week all my family had been on the edge since my father was sent on some mission and couldn't contact us when he should. Handicaps on having my other parent as a marine. He was rarely home. It was hard for me and my brothers, especially for my mother, but I guess we just get used to the constant worry at this point.

Either way, having my teachers knowing whenever we were having a tricky time wasn't that good. Neither to have the students thinking I have a preference because of who my mother is. Which make me work harder to get the best marks so they don't say I am their pet, but no matter what I got that label. It gets tiring sometimes.

And now, because this stress with my father and stuff, I hadn't applied in time for the topic I wanted this week for Roosevelt Daily and I get stuck between sports and the new parking lot's cement. I really would dread to sit down and write for hours about concrete, but on the other hand the interview Mrs Glennson was purposing wasn't anything pleasant either. And she wasn't exactly giving me a choice either.

"I'm doing you a favor, miss Grace." she insisted no matter how much I begged her. "If Mr Dawson was here he'll kill to have this chance." Logan Dawson was the guy that usually takes on the sport's section, but this week he was out on some convention or something like that. "It'll be on the front page and it would also help you improve with themes that are out your comfortable zone."

"I really appreciate this opportunity, Mrs Glennson, I really do. But sports is something I have no idea about."

"Oh, come on, Hailey." she rolled her eyes playfully, dropping the formality she'd taken before. "Your brother's been one of the best quarterbacks the Roosevelt's ever had. It's like fate that you got to interview his successor." I greeted my teeth together. It's not fate, it's a bloody curse.