17. Part One

Song: Wide awake - Katy Perry

........................................

Hailey

When I finally made my way downstairs, I was already dreading this whole plan. The analyzing look my mother gave me as soon as I stepped into the salon didn't help either. Ted was in the living room as well, but didn't even glance at me, too focused on whatever video game he was playing.

Her eyes narrowed over her glasses as she closed the book on her lap, shifting in her seat to be able to give me that motherly look of utter concern-disapproval she was so good at.

"Nope." I shook my head before she could even open her mouth. "I'm not going to hear it."

"I haven't said anything."

"You're thinking it." I grimaced. "I can hear the wheels rolling."

"And what am I thinking?"

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. "You think it's too short, too uncovering and that if I can't impress them without showing too much then I shouldn't try at all."

Her brow perked and she turned her attention back to the book, but I could tell she wasn't reading for the hint of a satisfied smile tugging her lip. "If you already know it, then why bother wear that? And who are you supposed to be?"

"Catwoman." I frowned, looking down at the costume, a hint of apprehension clenched my chest. "Isn't it obvious?"

"I would have known better if there were more dress to guess."

I mean, yeah, if it wasn't for the thick thighs, my legs would be showing a lot more than on an usual day, but she was just exaggerating. The body's wasn't at all that tight and from the chin to where the mini leather skirt ends every inch was covered. The high boots kinda offered a bit of protection too, and once I took the black gabardine Vicky had lend me I would be good.

My hair was pulled up in an Ariana Grande kinda pony tail with a tiara with cat ears on top. The make up was simple yet smoked. Since I would be wearing an eye mask I put especial effort on the lips, making them redder than I ever had. I also applied dark eye makeup and a smoking effect with the shadow to make them pooped out.

I'm pretty proud of my job, so mom, don't start.

"Ugh." I threw my head backwards, facing the ceiling. "Mom, I've spent the last hour watching YouTube tutorials and trying to fit in this. My scalp is hurting, my feet will very soon and the only person I did all this for just confirmed he'll be there. Please, don't make it all go wasted."