22: The Marine The Boys Call Camouflage

A week or two has passed since you returned. It was actually kind of peaceful, being able to live without so much stress of the scars on your body being discovered. Whenever Pearl and Marina had work, you stayed with 3 and 8, the former of which had miraculously started to tolerate you.

  The three of you had started to actually do things together, mostly you and 8 playing games while 3 watched silently. And so, you'd all pass the time. The day after your initial return heralded a visit from the squid sisters, who seemed more interested in making sure you were doing okay, before they finally left, their main concern taken care of.

"Wow, you actually really suck." 3 remarked, watching you fail another level.

"Last time I played a game was a sleepover with the stars before you were even a thought in my head." You told her without looking away. You watched 3 roll her eyes from the corner of your vision, before turning your focus back to the game, only to die again. You sighed, leaning back in your seat. You looked over at 8, handing her the controller. She took it, staring at it for a moment, and then looking back at the screen.

"Hey 3, I have a question." You told her.

"And I have answers." She responded. You looked over at her, as she leaned her head on the couch. She was currently seated on the floor, with you and 8 on opposite sides of the couch.

"Is 3 your real name, like 8's, or is it an alias, like 4 is with me?" You asked. 3 looked away again, not speaking for a moment.

"3 is the only name I go by. I will not accept any other way to say it or spell it. I am 3." She insisted.

"Okay Three."

"What?"

"Sorry, it's a joke better written down." You told her. 3 scoffed, turning away.

"Whatever." You turned away from her, leaning back. In the foyer, you caught the sound of keys jingling.

  "Pearl and Marina are back." You said. A split second later, the front door opened.

  "Yo, we're home!" You heard Pearl shout out.

  "Living room!" You shouted in response. You heard her footsteps as Pearl entered the room, looking rather chipper as Marina walked in, holding some grocery bags.

  "You guys been playing games all day?" Pearl asked. You nodded, getting up.

"Don't have much else to occupy myself." You admitted. Pearl rolled her eyes at that as Marina walked past you, into the kitchen.

"Hey Y/n, come here." She called to you. You peeked into the kitchen, watching Marina grab a few bags of hot coco mix from her grocery bag.

"Listen, I know you're addicted and all, but I want to help you with your insomnia. From now on, I need you to..." Marina held out one of the bags.

"Replace your normal coffee intake with that Coffee Mocha stuff you brought up the day after 3 and 8's arrival here." Marina told you. You grabbed the bag, looking from it to Marina, and back.

"I'm sorry?" You asked. Marina sighed, before speaking again.

"I'm trying to help you cure your caffeine addiction, Y/n." Marina told you. You slowly nodded, before looking at Marina again.

"...why?"

"Because..." Marina took the bag, placing it by the coffee brewer.

"... you need to start thinking about your own health, both mental and physical. I'll keep staying with you overnight, as it seems to be the only way you aren't constantly plagued by nightmares and PTSD, but I want you to start taking some action as well." Marina told you. You nodded, understanding.