29: Story of the Lifeguards

"Hey, Y/n?" Your sleep was disturbed by Marina's voice. When you opened your eyes, you were greeted by the sight of Marina's ceiling. Judging from the light, it was still early morning.

  "Hm?" You were still groggy from the sleep, not moving. The bed shifted as Marina turned, placing her arm around your shoulder.

"...I...I didn't realize how strong a PTSD attack those logs would bring." Marina admitted. You slowly grew more and more awake as she spoke.

  "..." you didn't respond, feeling the chills of those lurking memories as her words sunk in.

  "I know apologies won't help, especially now, but... whatever you want, to make up what I can, just... tell me. I'll do my best." She promised.

  "..." You reached up, grabbing Marina's hand in your own. You were both in silence for a good minute, before you rolled over, right into Marina's arms.

  "Y/n?" Marina asked you.

  "...just... hold me. Give me a hug, or something. Tell me things will be okay. My family never did, and I wasn't about to hug a fish." You told Marina.

  "...if that's what you want." Marina freed an arm from under your body, wrapping her arms around your neck and pulling you close until her cheek rested on the back of your head.

  "It's all gonna be okay, Y/n. Nobody's leaving you anymore, and you don't have to worry about dying anymore. I, and everyone, are here for you." She assured you. You simply closed your eyes, listening to Marina's words with a twinge of emotion building up in your chest.

  "You won't need to worry about drowning, or getting eaten, or starving. Nothing's gonna bite you or rip you into shreds here. You're safe."

  You had eventually fallen back asleep, only to wake up a few hours later, to Marina having already left the room. You followed your normal morning routine of walking back to your room to get a shower and some fresh clothes. When you had done that, you walked down the stairs as usual, into the kitchen.

"Hi, Y/n!" 8's usual enthusiastic greeting always brought a smile to your face when you heard it. 8 was eating a stacked plate of waffles, covered with whipped cream and syrup.

"Hello." You responded, stopping short as soon as you said that. The kitchen door was shut. Normally, this was nothing that would bug you, but the last few times that door had been shut, it was because of something important being discussed.

"Oh, 3's talking to Marina in there." 8 told you, cutting a piece of waffle out with her fork.

"3? Why's that?" You asked.

"I don't know. Pearl told me to eat waffles after 3 brought up you panicking. Are you still okay?" 8 asked you. You gave her a nervous smile, nodding.

"Yeah, don't worry about me, Einfühlsam. Your dad can handle worse." You told her.

"Okay... Please don't get unresponsive again." She requested.

"I promise, it won't happen again." You told her. 8 nodded, taking a bite of her waffle as you opened the kitchen door.

"-ho in their right mind would immediately move-" 3 was in the middle of lecturing Pearl when you entered the room, bringing silence to the air.

"Oh, you're up." 3 noted, letting out a long sigh.

  "Yes... I am. What did I miss?" You asked.

  "Oh, it's nothing too maj-" Pearl tried to brush off the situation, before 3 spoke up.

  "Pearl apparently wants to show you more of those 'lost logs' to jog your memory and help you face your fears." She summarized.