11: Remote Control

Ashley's Rescue: Attempt 6

"For the last time, Ashley, the little guy can't just go home." Frank tried to comfort his wife, who was eagerly trying to explain to him why you would be better free than dead.

"But WHY can't he go home?" Ashley asked. Beside her was an empty glass, and a bottle of scotch. Frank sighed, stroking her auburn hair in an attempt to calm her down.

"Alterra's statement forbids us from getting more specimens, meaning our best bet will only lead to him dying." Frank explained for the fifth time. Ashley reached for the alcohol, before Frank grabbed her wrist, stopping her.

"No more than three drinks an hour. You know this, Ashley." He pleaded.

"The rule is no getting blackout drunk." Ashley countered, wrenching her hand away.

"And for you, that means four drinks. Do you even want to keep your job?" Frank asked, grabbing the bottle.

"Please Frank, you gotta try." Ashley pleaded. In her state of drunkenness, Frank was unsure whether she was asking for him to try letting her have another drink, or try going to Alterra about the ink human.

  "You know it won't work, Ash." Frank told her. He grabbed her shoulders, pulling her into an embrace. She resisted for a few seconds, before stopping, sniffling.

  "You really care for him, don't you?" Frank asked. Ashley nodded.

  "I don't want to stay on this damned ship knowing that another person dies thinking they were going home because of me." Ashley told him. He nodded, flashing back to the other sentient creatures they had picked up in the past.

  Of all of them, the ink humans were the most developed, in every way. They even seemed to inherit humanity's less pleasant features, like racism and wars, going off of Ashley's reports.

  "You should go to sleep now, Babe." Frank told his spouse. Ashley sighed, not moving from her embrace.

  "Going to Alterra would be too risky for my career. I don't want you losing your job either, but if you think this is right, I won't stop you." Frank promised. Ashley didn't respond, finally letting go of Frank.

  "One more drink before bed?" Ashley asked. Frank sighed, nodding.

  "One more."

  You finished your cup of coffee, throwing the paper cup in a nearby trash bin, turning to the fabricator you had set up on your wall, in your house at the plaza.

  Pearl and Marina were at work for the better part of the day, giving you the time to get to work on a project you had planned for a day or so.

  Taking your PDA, you voiced a command.

  "Alpha, move 12'O clock, 1 meter." In front of you, a massive console you had set up lurched, for about a second, before stopping. What this would do is interact with a Seamoth's controls to move it. Programming it was something you needed not to worry about. The fabricator itself did so many favors with everything you put in it, meaning you could produce a large number of these, and make an army of remote control submarines. Of course, Prawn's would be much more difficult, nearly undoable in most situations, seeing as it relied on more attention to its surroundings.

Placing the console in a massive case with foam lining, you left the house, heading to the shoreline once again.

It took more time, but you got Alpha hooked up, and it let you perform some experiments.