32: Mint Green

Art by ImmaTakeAToasterBath

Love your work

Dark...

Cold...

H...Hungry...

No power... no help...

Marina stirred awake, slowly opening her eyes to the darkness of the night. Why...? The alarm clock on her nightstand read... one moment... Marina blinked the sleep out of her eyes, sitting up for a clearer look. 1 am.

"Ugh..." Marina lied back down, turning over to face you.

But you weren't there.

Marina bolted up at the sight of the empty half of her bed, turning on the lamp above her alarm clock. Where did...

You were on the ground, in the fetal position you knew so well, panting rapidly. Marina frowned at the sight, pushing the blanket off her body, and getting out of bed.

After walking around the bed, Marina waved a single hand in front of your eyes. No response. You were probably asleep and in the middle of a nightmare. Sighing, Marina cupped your cheek in her hand, before drawing it back in surprise. You were surprisingly cold, almost clammy to the touch. Marina knit her brows. If you were cold to her, then she was warm to you.

It took a fair amount of effort, but Marina managed to to relocate you onto her bed again. Marina got back under the covers, wrapping an arm around you, before snuggling up again. After a few minutes of this, Marina sighed, sitting back up. You were in the midst of a nightmare, and she was trying to fix it just by cuddling with you.

Marina shuffled in place, shifting your unconscious body until you were laying in her lap. She gingerly stroked your head, watching you lightly shudder. Marina... didn't have much of a childhood. Hell, until a few years ago, she had been a engineer of war. She didn't have a lot of the same comforts of others.

But not even she had to spend every day of five years worrying if she would have the resources to see the next sunrise.

All comparisons aside, Marina didn't want you to have to suffer, even in dreams. With a sigh, she looked up to the ceiling. Licking her dry lips, she looked back down to you, opened her mouth, and...

"Alas, my love...you do me wrong..."

You froze up at the first lyrics of the lullaby Marina started to sing.

"To cast me off discourageously...And I have loved you for so long...Delighting in your company..."

You started to stir, opening your eyes to look into Marina's worried green orbs.

"...Marina?" You mumbled.

"Green..sleeves... was all... my joy... Greensleeves was my... delight."

"Greensleeves was my heart of gold... And who.... but my lady... Greensleeves." With a sigh, Marina stopped singing to look at your confused expression.

"Hey, Y/n." Marina whispered. You shifted, sitting up to look at the alarm clock.

"It's 1 in the morning, what are you doing singing lullabies?" You asked.

"...you were having a nightmare again." Marina answered. You paused, before closing your eyes with a low sigh.

"...I was, huh?" You shook your head, burying it in your hand.

"I guess I worried you, then. I... I'm sorry about that."

"No, don't be. It nothing that can be pinned on you, even if I wanted to." Marina hugged you around the neck, dragging you to lay back down in bed.