Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The call do my dad asking if he would do the honour of assembling the furniture from Ikea was going to happen a lot sooner than I expected. It was 10am when we had woken up (the first night staying here was amazing, waking up next to Nathan though had to be the best part) Nath decided he wanted to take me there so we could buy some new furniture for the flat, it kind of excited me that we were actually doing this together.

While Nathan was in the bathroom I put on my shoes and coat, looking at myself in the mirror to see if I looked alright, for the first time I noticed a tiny bump that was starting to appear on my stomach. I was amazed and just stood there staring at myself, seeing it made it that tiny bit more real. I was still stood in the same place when Nathan came out of the bathroom; he walked over and stood behind me looking at me from the reflection in the mirror. I took one of his hands and moved it to the tiny bump, he tore his gaze from my eyes to where his hand lay on my stomach, and back up to meet my gaze again. I saw a twinkle in those eyes I’d fallen for followed by a dazzling smile, the evidence that it really was happening and we would be parents in a short time was making it more and more real. He kissed my neck before looking at me one more time and taking my hand leading me out the front door, closing it behind us.

It didn’t take too long to get there. We were lucky that we had everything not far from us so we never had to go out of our way. London was like a whole new dimension from Scotland; even though I had been here a while now I still found myself discovering a new ‘level’ as it were.

“Where to first?” Nathan asked, ‘the toilet’ was all I said, there was one right next to the entrance as I found myself needing to go all of a sudden. I blame the pregnancy.  Nathan nodded understanding and went to wait by the trollies.

After I had done my business I washed and dried my hands before walking back to where Nathan stood in exactly the same place as where I’d left him. When he saw he me he stood up straight, fixed his hat he’d put on to lower the chances of him being recognized, took my hand and we followed the arrows around the shop floor. Every now and again we would see something we liked and wrote the numbers down to collect them afterwards.

When we reached the children’s section we both instantly stopped. Normally we would just walk through it not paying any attention to it, but this time it was different. “What do we-” Nathan began to ask, “I don’t know” I said referring to the fact I didn’t know what we needed to get as it was new to both of us. “Let’s just start here and go round” I said as Nathan grabbed one of the blue bags so we could get a few things.

“Do we need one of these?” Nathan said pointing to a tiny wardrobe designed for children. “I guess so” I said looking at it. It was wooden, about the same size as me and included drawers at the bottom and the space to hang clothes at the top. It was pretty cute and would fit nicely in the room Nathan had that would be for our baby, its weird saying that! I wrote the number down of where it was and we carried on slowly making our way round. If anyone saw us they would definitely think we were first time parents as we were making it really obvious not knowing what we were doing.

By the time we had got through the children’s section we had written the numbers down for the wardrobe, a crib, a chest to store things in, a changing table, plus in the bag we had filled it with numerous toys, plastic plates and other objects we had no idea if we needed but decided to buy anyway. “It’s so weird carrying these things” Nathan said as he carried the bag in the hand he wasn’t holding mine in. “I know right, I don’t really know what to think” I said laughing slightly.

We ended up filling a bag and two trollies with the amount of stuff we bought. I felt kind of bad letting Nathan pay for it all, but he insisted saying he was the one that played concerts for millions of people that he wanted to buy the things for our flat, and baby. We loaded what we could into the car but obviously not everything fit. In-fact only the bag and two boxes fit in, so Nathan called Max to drive down in the van so we could take the rest of the stuff back all in one go.