Episode 63

Unlike hosiery and open-toe sandals, rain and cuddles never put a foot wrong as a great combo. Manqoba pulled Enhle closer under the blanket in her sleep. He planted a kiss on her shoulder and she sighed heavily before opening her eyes and asking for time.
"I thought you were sleeping", he mentioned.
"I was"
"Sorry I woke you", he apologized before placing another kiss behind her ear. She smiled.
"It's okay. What time is it?", she reiterated. He quickly extended his hand towards the pedestal to grab his phone.
"Five minutes past four", he informed. She yawned and pulled the headwrap that was halfway up her head, slipping off.
"Let's go back to sleep", she suggested before closing her eyes and snuggling up against husband. 
"You and sleep", he laughed. She snorted and laughed as well but never opened her eyes. He placed his chin comfortably over her shoulder, thoughtfully silent for trickling minutes. He eventually heaved a sigh.
"Ngiyathemba uyazi ukuthi ukuthatha kwami omunye unkosikazi akusho ukuthi angisakuthandi. Ngiyak'thanda Enhle. She's not here to replace you baby. There's only one you and that's what I love about you. As much as we drive each other insane sometimes, I can't imagine my life functioning well beyond your absence", he gave an unrushed confession and shortly realized that she was gone. He huffed and shook his head.
"I love you", he whispered before planting another kiss on her warm skin. He gave her a brief bxxty rub as she slept before he also registered to nap, he only had about half an hour to go.

...

"Hm-mh!", Muzi exclaimed in his sleep.
"Hm-mh man!", he continued to mumble under the influence of his nightmare. Betso woke up and squinted her eyes trying to figure out what was going on. She sat up before switching on her low-light side lamp. She turned in his direction and shook him, trying to wake him up.
"Baby? Tsoga wa lora"(Wake up you're having a nightmare)
His body was stiff except for the head and neck he kept on moving sideways.
"Don't touch me!", he jerked up and both his hands landed on Betso's neck. He strangled her for a moment before popping his eyes when the nightmare wore off his brain. She was gagging and trying to pull his hands off of her. He quickly removed them and she rubbed her neck.
"I'm sorry baby. I'm really sorry I don't know what--", he rambled out an apology and she interrupted him. She was still coughing and rubbing her neck.
"It's okay. What the hell were you even dreaming about?"
He let out a very heavy breath. He was soaking wet, covered in his own sweat.
"I don't remember", he lied. His eyes were still shut as he tried to catch his breath, both palms on the bed.
"You kept saying they shouldn't touch you. Who was touching you?"
"Baby ingan ngiyak'tshela ukuthi angisakhumbuli mus!"(I'm telling you I don't remember!), he shot out before shooting out of bed. She was baffled and offended. She felt there was no need for him to shout at her like that but kept it to herself. He walked to the bathroom and she got up to check on Liwe. She was still having smiley lip twitches in her sleep.
Muzi got in there, switched on the light and closed the door. He washed his face with cold water before holding tighly against the basin, watching his dripping wet face in the mirror. The dream kept replaying itself in his mind, putting all the other thoughts on hold.

...

Evelyn struggled with sleep till she saw it best to kick the blankets and go have the daily glass of milk she forgot to drink the previous night. The weather no longer allowed for the loose and light fitting material of her silk gown so had to go find a thicker one before her feet could lead her downstairs. She tied it up as she walked, turning every light on. She didn't want anything catching her off guard in the dark. She kept walking but looking back and over her shoulder. She was still jittery from the previous incident. The rain never stopped. It was still patiently blessing the surface of the earth with its wet presence. She got to the fridge and took out the glass bottle of her favourite dairy substance. She placed it on the table before dragging her feet to go take out a glass from one of the top cupboards.  A very quick and loud thunder struck and the glass slipped off her shaky fingers. She held her chest and balanced herself with the other hand. She could feel the secrets digging their pointy claws into the inner of her heart.
"He is never going to forgive me for this", she whispered to herself as a tear skated down her cheek.
"Hawu kant--"
"Ay fuseg!", her fear and anxiety shot out at Manqoba and a frown grew on his face. She barely swears and in the rare case that she does and just like everything else, it is always done with some level of class.
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you...", he mentioned as he approached her. She was still trying to piece the scattered pieces of her calm and sanity together. She got down to pick up the glasses and only then did he notice them.
"Leave those I'll get rid of them", he assured but he was talking to himself.
"Ma?!", he yelled and only then did she raise her face.
"Hm?!"
She was far. Her mind was far. He pulled her defeated self up by the shoulders.
"I said leave them before you cut yourself. What's wrong? I feel like there's something you're not telling me?", he said and watched for a reply. She breathed out loudly through the nose. Even her sigh was tired.
"I need to... the ladies... before arrive... I'll tell him. I'll confess.  I need to go freshen up", she gave an almost incoherent statement before she got herself out of his hold and left.  Manqoba wanted to speak but he ultimately declared it pointless. She was too much of a zombie to care about anything he had to say.