Episode 70

An appalled Betso stood in the middle of Nomcebo's living room, where the homeowner had left her shamelessly. The embarrassment skipped the mother and went straight to the child. Ndalo's eyes had no idea which direction to take. Betso sighed and took a defeated walk back to the couch.
"Ikuphi itissue Ndalo? Ayi yekela nayi"(where is the tissue roll? Nevermind, found it), Nomcebo's disembodied voice sounded from the kitchen. Betso heard the door close, then concluded that Nomcebo made her way out.
"I am sorry to say this but I don't trust your mother to take care of someone in your condition. Pack your bags we are leaving", Betso instructed and Ndalo humbly wore a confused look over her face.
"To where?", she asked.
"The royal house"
"I can't. I'm sorry but I can't", she sternly turned her down when she thought of how inappropriate it would seem. She imagined all the judgements she would have to endure and it made no sense for her to go there. Everyone was already making her feel bad for falling pregnant at the age she did, considering how everyone viewed her as God's last born who could place no foot wrong even if it's was the left one. Betso tried to convince her but she wasn't having it. She shook her head in disapproval until Betso said:"Okay, okay. I still cannot leave you here. Is there any other relative you can live with until you're done with your exams?"
"I used to live with my grandmother after...", she wanted to mention that Nomcebo once kicked her out but decided against it.
"Are you okay with going back there now?"
Ndalo nodded.
"Alright. Go speak to your mother and tell her you're leaving. I'll wait for you right here", Betso assured. Ndalo stood up wanting to go find Nomcebo outside but she heard the kitchen door open. Nomcebo released a dramatic sigh as she walked in. She then pulled out a chair from the table and sat down.
"Mama, bengisacel' ukuya kwa gogo for iskhashana?"(Can I go to granny's for a while?), she politely asked as she stood against the white deep freezer.
"Yenza okufunayo Ndalo angithi uwu mfazi manje wena. Uyamitha awulaleli--"(Do as you wish. Isn't it you're a woman now? You get pregnant you don't listen)
Ndalo frowned in sadness.
"Kodwa mama--"(But mom)
Nomcebo raised her hand to cut Ndalo's argument short. She nonchalantly pushed her head wrap back to scratch her hair. Ndalo looked to her side and Betso softly shook her head, showing her that she shouldn't argue any further. Ndalo felt caught in between the two women. She hated disappointing her mother however, she also did not want to disappoint Betso. One fact was enough for Betso to win that case; Ndalo knew she was no where near happy in that house.
"I'll go pack...", she lowly said to her mom, who did not reply. She wasn't sure if she heard her or that she was intentionally keeping mum. Ndalo walked out of that kitchen, leaving the grey atmosphere with a heavy heart. Betso picked up her phone and car keys from the couch and followed her into the room. Ndalo took down her travelling bag from the top of the wardrobe and zipped it open, clearly emotional. Betso had no idea what to say to her. Ndalo unlocked the wardrobe and opened both doors.
"Hand me the clothes and I'll pack them into the case", Betso offered. Ndalo did just that, still silent as a dead Valentine's card. She handed Betso a couple of already folded t-shirts and Betso placed them carefully into the wide open bag. Next to follow was a green floral dress. Betso unfolded it to have a look.
"This is a really beautiful dress", she remarked. Ndalo huffed out a weak laugh.
"Thank you", she said.
"C'mon. Put it on. I want to see how you look in it", Betso said. Ndalo's silent laugh amplified in protest.
"I'm fat now. It doesn't look the same on me anymore", Ndalo argued. Betso could feel it in her tone that she felt unattractive.
"Please", Betso blinked a couple of times, trying to blackmail her emotionally. Ndalo felt lazy but Betso left her no choice. She took off her clothes and wore the desired dress. It dropped to its full length - just below her knees.
"Is it new?", Betso asked, fascinated by how beautiful she looked in it. Ndalo nodded.
"Sort of. I've only ever worn it once". She still had her hands dropped to her sides, waiting to be told that it was enough and that she could take it off.
"Don't take it off. I'll be back just now. Continue packing", Betso said and quickly dashed out, leaving no space for Ndalo to argue. She came back with her handbag moments later and told Ndalo to sit. Thirty minutes later, Ndalo caught herself with a fully beat face - eyebrows and all.
"Do you like it?", Betso asked as Ndalo stood in front of the mirrow, clearly admiring herself.
"Uhm... wow. I... I don't know what to say...", she laughed in her lack for words. Betso held both her shoulders from behind and said:"You're still the beautiful girl my son fell in love with at first sight in that kitchen. Don't let this pregnancy change how you feel about yourself. It's a phase and it will pass. You don't value less just because you fell pregnant at your age. You already have people crucifying you for it. Don't become one of them. I don't know how this dress looked before this but I can confidently say that it looks even better now. Look ats youu", she said with a smile, one that she shortly infected Ndalo with.
"Now come on, let's finish packing. We still have to drive to gogo's", she said and gently squeezed Ndalo's shoulders.