Episode 42

"Sawubona", Manqoba greeted after he walked into the kitchen filled with the smell of chocolate. Enhle had an apron on, baking muffins and brownies. He was clearly surprised to see this.
"Sawubona baba", she said calmly and went to take the second tray out.
"What are you doing?"
"I'm baking for ma's biweekly meeting with the ladies", she informed and took off the baking gloves. He noticed she had new nails but a way,way shorter length compared to what she always gets installed.
"Are you okay?", Manqoba asked as he slowly placed his phone and car keys on the kitchen counter. She nodded with a smile and approached the fridge.
"You weren't half an hour ago", he remarked.
"I really am fine", she assured as she took the litre of milk out of the fridge.
"Okay...", he had no choice but to stop pushing. She continued being busy. He was surprised at how the person he spoke to on the phone was a completely different version of what he was seeing in the kitchen. He walked past and she quickly said "Your food is in the oven. Please come back to eat?"
Now he was asking himself several real questions. The cliche "Who are you and what did you do to my wife" question was circling his mind. He just nodded and continued with his journey upstairs.

...

When Muzi arrived home, he found the boys watching TV and greeted them, asking when exactly they arrived. Mxolisi was sunken down on the couch watching TV with his hands in his pockets.
"And then wena? Ulunywa yin?"(What's your problem?), Muzi asked. He could see he wasn't quite himself. Mxo shook his head and Muzi knew he wasn't going to win even if he forced him to speak. He stored the matter for tomorrow then turned to Lwa, who was on his phone. They conversed for a bit before he retired to his bedroom. Betso was asleep in the dark with her hand on her tummy. He switched on the side lamp and sat on the bed, taking off his sneakers. He got up to go wash his face and came back to take the rest of his clothes off, left only in his underwear. He got under the covers and hugged his wife from behind, kissing her on the neck. She woke up and turned towards him with a smile. A kiss landed on her lips.
"Hey baby", she greeted.
"Ninjani?"(How are the two of you doing?), he asked.
"We're fine. Did you enjoy your night out?"
"I missed you the whole time", he informed and she smiled, checking the clock on the pedestal.
"Is that why you're back? I wasn't expecting you back at this time"
He nodded.
"How long have you been asleep?"-Muzi.
"Since nine I think"
He was already caressing her breast and kissing lightly on her shoulder. She knew what was coming and was absolutely in no mood for it. She allowed him to continue, trying not to be rude. She bent her neck to allow him working space. He turned her so she lays on her back, getting on top of her. He raised her silky nightie and lifted her left leg while kissing on her lips. He then suddenly stopped and sighed.
"What's wrong?", he questioned.
"What do you mean?"
"Awuyifeeli lento engiyenzayo la. Baby when was the last time we had sex? Ngempela ngempela ngizophila ngath anginaye umama la endlin? Okwe s'shimane?"(You're not feeling this... Am I honestly going to live like a bachelor while I have a wife?), he asked and she looked away. He released a heavy breath out and got off of her. He went to take a cold shower and came back to bed. She was already asleep by the time he was done. They slept with their backs facing one another. He wondered himself to sleep.

...

Manqoba was seated in his office when Enhle knocked and he allowed entry. She fixed her headwrap and walked in. He was watching the sunset on the balcony but walked back into the office when he saw her. They both knew they had to talk at some point. He went over to the couch and sat. She went to sit next to him.
"Mbulazi...", the conversation had to start somewhere.
"Mama...", he answered. The way in which he said it gave her hope.
"I'm sorry. I honestly don't know how to apologize in a way that will make you see the regretful state my heart is in"
He sighed and took her hand. She dropped tears from both eyes.
"Going back and forth with you is going to be a complete waste of time. I am mad yes but on my drive back home today, I had a thought and even laughed at myself. I realized that how I'm feeling right now, is exactly how you felt the multiple times I went out to cheat. Siyafana mina nawe so It'd be hypocritical of me mengizoku khomba ngomunwe"(We're no different... if I were to point fingers)
"You went out because I was a bad wife..."
He distorted and exercised his upper lip so it meets his nostrils and shook his head.
"It's no use pointing fingers now. You're here to stay just as much as Sihle is. You're both ancestral wives. I want peace. I need it. I am in fact desperate for it"
"I really thought you were going to kill me"
"I can't say all is forgotten but I'd never do that. I don't know why you always fail to understand how much I actually mean it when I say I love you Bianca", he said and she laughed at how he referred to her. He barely calls her by her second name.
"So, angazi. Asenze lento yakho sibone ukuthi izo silahlaph"(Let's do this thing of yours and see where it takes us)
"Yin leyo baba?"(And that is?)
"Itherapy", he said and waited for her to reply.
"Ngempela?"(Really?), there was a twinkle in her eye.
He nodded.
"On one condition though...", he added.
She looked at him with an expression that said 'Carry on'.
"That you also have individual sessions with the therapist apart from our joint ones?", he said and she took a short moment to digest what he'd just said. She then nodded and he tightened his hold on her hand. She leaned in for a hug and he hugged her back. She was doubtful about kissing him when they broke the hug. Manqoba is the most unpredictable person she knows and that was the foundation of her doubt. She ultimately resigned from that idea when his phone rang. He answered it, only to be alerted that there is somebody outside who was there to see him.