Episode 46

When he felt the alcohol was on its marks and getting set to his head, Muzi said his goodbyes to Mandla, who also decided it was time to head home. Muzi got to his car and rested his head against the car seat for a moment before driving home, gathering strength. He eventually decided to start the vehicle and direct it to his house.

He exhaled heavy with his jacket in one hand when he opened the door. He found Mxo playing a game on his phone, seated by the kitchen counter.
"Bafana", he greeted.
"Hey dad"
"Where's everyone?"
"Asleep", Mxo replied and tilted his phone to the side, riding the car on his screen. Muzi opened the fridge to grab a bottle of water, then took a few steps before Mxo stood up and stopped him on his tracks.
"Can I talk to you about something?", Mxo requested.
Muzi shut one eye and asked it if it cannot wait.
Mxo laughed because he was expecting that very reaction.
"It really can't. It's very important"
Muzi sighed and they both walked in the direction of the living room. They took a seat and Muzi leaned back on the couch, waiting for his deliquent of a son to start speaking.
"I am not going to beat around the bush. I fxcked up", Mxo confessed. Muzi closed his eyes and pinched his nose bridge.
"I wonder wenzeni manje"(what you've done now), he sat up.
"Ngiqale ngakuphi... okay. I... my girlfriend is pregnant"(Where should I start)
Muzi just pressed his lips and stared without a single blink. Mxo shrugged and stared back. Muzi scoffed and said, "Mbulazi omncan".
Mxo kept his eyes on the carpet.
"Wena no Melokuhle nicabanga ukuthi babies are matching outfits angith?"(You and Melo think...)
"That's not true"
"Are you in a competition of some sort?"
"Dad this wasn't planned I swear"
"Wasn't planned yok'nuka? What? It was a mistake? You were holding your sperm in a glass and it fell ontop of a vxgina?"
Mxo was about to defend himself but decided to shut his mouth instead.
"How old are you konje?"
"16 dad you know this"
A brief laugh of disbelief left Muzi's throat and he fell back on the couch.
"Say something"
"Something efana nani? Congratulations? Help you plan a baby shower?" (Like what?)
"Dad, I really love this girl and I have every intention of doing right by her. But I can't do all of that without your guidance"
"I'd like to believe that you know that no child in this family grows outside the fence"-Muzi.
"What do you mean?"
"I mean, you need to find the means to pay all the damages and marry this girl. From your own pocket"
"MARRIAGE?!"
"Yes. Marriage. You also need to find a job. Awunawo ngisho umatric so I don't know ukuthi kuyo sentshezwaphi"(You don't even have a matric certificate I don't know where you're going to work)
"Work? Dad?!"
"Yes. And don't even think about quitting school. You're still going to go to school. Nothing is going to change there"
"What time am I going to work then? Where? Are you cutting my allowance?"
"You'll go to work when the school is out. Luckily for you, I'm looking for general workers to manufacture bricks and mix concrete. No. I am not cutting any allowance but four point five won't raise you and your baby"
"You could always increase it", the genius suggested.
"Of course I can sonny", Muzi said with a smile. Mxo felt some relief unfolding in his chest.
"But I will do no such thing. You should've learnt from Melo's mistakes but nooo, you just had to go taste how hot the flame is with your tongue didn't you?!"
"Dad. I've been to that place and I saw how difficult those people work. And it's hot in there! Making bricks is not child's play"
"Correct. But you're no longer a child. You're father to be"
"Yoh mxjsjsjwjsnsnsbhusm!", Mxo threw himself back on the couch and ran his hands down his face in frustration, mumbling inaudibly
"Is that a lullaby you're practicing for Uyeza?"
"Uyeza?", Mxo asked with an angry frown on his face.
"Mh. Uyeza Usendleleni Khumalo?"
Mxo shook his angry head and looked away. Muzi stood up with his jacket and left him there.

...

The lights were off when he entered his bedroom. He undressed himself and got under the sheets. Their backs were facing one another as they faced opposite directions. He tried to get himself to sleep but ended up kicking the sheets and sitting up. He could hear from how she was breathing and fidgeting that she wasn't asleep. He switched on his side lamp before he could speak.
"I know you're not sleeping. Get up so we can talk?"-Muzi
She sighed and took a moment before getting up as well. He walked to her side of the bed, got there and knelt in front of her in his underwear. He placed his arms on her exposed thighs and she shifted back.
"Do you still want to be in this marriage?", he bluntly asked. She looked away.
"I don't remember the last time I touched you freely. I'm living like a bachelor with a ring on my finger. What the hell is going on? I know this is not just about hormones and shxt?!"
"You will not speak to me like that Muzikayise", she warned. He drew his frowned face back.
"Every man has needs in case you forgot my love. I'm tired of analyzing everything I say before I speak, in fear that you will snap for no reason. I'm busy getting punished for God-knows-what and you're not willing to speak about it. I am not a kid and I did not marry one"
"Why do you feel so entitled to my body? This body is mine. Not ours! I'm pretty sure there's someone who will fulfill those needs because I will not coerced into having sex when I don't want to!"
Muzi froze for a bit, without his lip hanging.
"I tried so much not to say this but you keep pestering and pestering it's so damn annoying! Your mere touch repulses me what makes you think I'd be able to stand kissing and listening to you hump on top of me?"
He removed his hands entirely from her but never got up.
"So, we've become that typical couple?"
Betso sighed and got up. Muzi blocked her with his arm as he got up.
"We will finish this conversation today. Why didn't you tell me when you felt you were falling out of love with me?"
"I couldn't..."
"Why? What's really going on?"
"I love somebody else dammit!", she snapped. Muzi immediately felt like a madman was playing drums on his temples. She tried to walk away again but he blocked her again.
"Uyangijolela?!"(You're cheating on me?)
"I'm not cheating on you. We're not in a relationship yet but what I feel--"
"YET?! Nali ibhadi lami bo! What the fxck are you trying to say sthandwasami?!"
Betso afforded herself a few breathing exercises. The conversation was getting exhausting for her. His cologne also smelt like a refined version of terrible. She tried walking away once more but he gripped onto her wrist fuming.
"Is he the reason why you've become so disrespectful lately?"
"You're hurting me. Let go of my hand before I scream"
"Even if I wanted to hurt you, no one would hear you"
"Muzi...", she was now prepared to fight if he tried anything funny.
"Let go...", she added.
"What do you think I'm gonna do to you?"
"Nothing because I won't allow you to"
"Allow me to do what? To do what exactly?"
"Your usual tactics of "getting me in line" using rough sex when your fragile ego feels disrespected"
"Let me get this correctly, right now as you're standing there, you think I'd... you think I'd rxpe you?!", the last part of his statement had a breath of disbelief.
"I said you're hurting me!", she shot out. They shared a mutual threatening stare in the slight dark. There was a full moon outside-- its light eavesdropping in on their conversation through the huge window.
Muzi loosened his grip on her hand and she marched into the bathroom, banging the door behind her. He looked up, trying to fight the burning sensation that was surrounding his eyes. It stung but it had nothing on the flame that was busy engulfing all the hay of hope in his heart. He walked into the closet to put on a set of tracksuits and some sneakers, then walked out.