Episode 02

The royal house had quietened down a couple days after the funeral. A family meeting was requested by the elders for reasons known to them. When they first arrived in the house, Betso, Thando and Enhle were lounging in the TV room indolent with Thando still in her pyjamas. A luxury only she can afford amongst them three since she was under no expectation to keep up a certain impressive image. She ran up the stairs to go call her mother and brothers, following the order of bab'Mkhul'Sizwe, her fathers youngest uncle.

Betso and Enhle straightened out their legs anxiously as they both still find this man with an intimidating statue uncomfortable to be around. He threw sharp one look towards the couch they were both seated and only then did they bump heads asking to be excused. According to bab'Sizwe, this is the very first thing they should've done at the sight of him. When everyone came down and greeted, only then did he take his seat. He then cleared his throat and put his hat on his knee.

"Nje ngoba sonke siyazi ukuthi isikhothamile indlalifa ka mfowethu, kufanele manje silungiselele inkosi yethu entsha, uManqoba,Nathisiyabusa...Khumalo. Akekho ongalazi loludaba. Manje ke..."(As we all know about the passing of the heir to my brother's throne, it's necessary now that we start preparing for the inauguration of our new chief,Manqoba Nathisiyabusa Khumalo. We've all been expecting this. So now...", an unsolicited entrance disrupted Sizwe from consummating his briefing. Evelyn irritably placed her palm on her face and looked away.
"Aningi ndlulise la, yifamily meeting enjan le la kushorta khona amalunga amanye womndeni?"(What kind of a family meeting is this that's held in the absentia of other family members?)

That would be Mbhekiseni Khumalo, the half-brother to the fallen chief.
"You're interrupting a very important meeting Mbhekisen", Evelyn reprimands from where she is seated.
"Mbhekiseni", Bab'Sizwe calmly calls out.
"Yebo bab'mncan"
"Wa nyamalala kangaka. Ubuyaphi?"(What yanked you out of your disappearance?)
"I'd also like to know", Evelyn adds to Sizwe's question. Mbhekiseni shot a slicing brief look at her.
"Where I've been has nothing to do with you,ice queen. You shouldn't even sitting in on this. Go make us tea like the good makoti you should be",Mbhekiseni vomits out these words with zero uncertainty. Evelyn scoffs and Sizwe reprimands him to guard his mouth. Mbhekiseni, disregarding every presence in the room, takes out a small bottle of whiskey from the pocket of his grey blazer.

"Ku ngan ungazanga uzongcwaba umfowenu?"(Why didn't you come for your brother's burial?)
"Ey bengimatasa man nibongixolela"(I was busy please forgive me), he airily says and takes another sip of his intoxicating beverage.
"Kodwa ukwazile ukuveza ubuso kulo mhlangano ongak'funi ngalutho?"(But you managed to arrive to this meeting that has nothing to do with you), Sizwe shoots out. Muzi and Manqoba were both too tired and hungover to argue, or even comment on anything. They went overboard last night with the indoor drinking.
"Angisayizwa kahle manje. UBab'mncan ukhuluma ngani ngoba yimina ofanele yile shlalo futhi ashade nalo ice queen"(I don't understand how this has nothing to do with me when I'm the one who's supposed to sit on this throne and also marry this ice queen), Mbhekiseni states his perspective. Everyone laughs. The laughter emanates from two possibilities--That he's either joking or that the alcohol got the better of important parts of his brain.
"I'm not joking", he says to Evelyn. The smile on her face abruptly disappears.
"Your blood is diluted and you have the audacity to think you can marry me? Or even become a chief for that matter?", Evelyn blurts out and he stands to charge at her. Muzi was already shielding his mother before Mbhekiseni could get to her.
"My husband was a 100 times more of a man than you could ever be. I don't appreciate you disrespecting him in this manner!", an emotional Evelyn insists on ripping her chest apart, regardless of how volatile Mbhekiseni is known to be.
"Makoti nawe musa!"(Stop talking!), Sizwe directs this to Evelyn. Muzi was holding tighly to Mbhekiseni's wrists with no effort at all.
"U lwa nami heh mfana?"(Are you fighting with me boy?), Mbhekiseni threatened through gritted teeth. Manqoba stood up and left.