Episode 57

"Waze wamuhle bo"(You look beautiful), Manqoba said to Sihle when she stepped into the car. She blushed and thanked him for the compliment. He couldn't stop marveling at how her dress hugged her figure, even when seated. She looked like she put zero effort into her look but she still looked elegant with her two thick cornrows on her head.
"Siyaphi?"(Where are we going?), she asked when he started driving.
"It's a surprise", he said with a smile and she smiled back but looked at him suspiciously.
Mona and sun's 'Via Orlando' was playing in the car. They share a music taste so there was nothing to disagree about there. They eventually arrived at Manqoba's "surprise" location. The fresh air hit her immediately the very moment she stepped out of the car. The green grass was calling. The big blue sky was waving. The trees were large with exceptionally good enough shade. He just watched silently as she walked ahead of him, admiring as nature showed off.

"I can't believe I'm only seeing this place for the first time", she said as continued to take patient steps.
"It's beautiful right?", he said. They could see and hear the waterfall from a short distance.
"Beautiful? It's gorgeous!"
He took her hand as they strolled around. The river was flowing right next to them.
"I come here whenever I feel I need to clear my head", he mentioned.
"It's a gem of a place but I don't think I'd be brave enough to do that", she laughed.
"Yeah you shouldn't come to such places by yourself. Perverts are always roaming around", he was serious.
"Apart from that, I don't like rivers much. I love them but... arg I'm not making sense"
"Yeah you're not", he said and she laughed.
"What I mean is, I always see stuff so I'd rather keep away from them"
"What stuff?", he stopped walking. Her hand was still in his.
"When I was a kid, bes'bhukuda angithi uyaz? So this one time, I was with my friends and cousins, swimming in the river. I saw a snake in the water but instead of telling them, I got tongue tied. I eventually convinced them that I was sick and that we should leave. We did that"
Manqoba was listening attentively.
"Another time, I was walking with my grandmother by the river bank. She liked drinking water from that river so whenever we would pass by it, she'd kneel to take in a few handfuls. I saw another snake but that one was colorful, tumbling in and out of the water. She didn't see it. I quickly pulled her back and explained to her what happened. She said I saw the god of that water and that it was her fault. I asked her how and she said she forgot to first ask before she dipped her hands into the river", she explained. MQ nodded.
"Yeah ayacelwa amanzi you don't just do as you please emfuleni"(That's true. You should always ask), he confirmed.
"I didn't understand then"
"You were still a kid I guess"
"A kid with weird vibes", she said and giggled. "Also, I grew up with a very strong intuition"
"Tell me more", Manqoba was fascinated.
"When I was around eighteen nineteen somewhere there, I had to catch a bus to Egoli to stock up for my grandmother's shop. I wasn't feeling that errand. At all. I stalled so much for no reason and I was almost late. On the way there, the bus ticket fell into mud water. I saw right there and then that I probably shouldn't go. I was supposed to meet up with my cousin at the bus because we didn't live in the same house. That was the very same day we lost her in a horrible accident. Nobody survived in that bus. Apparently it crashed into a truck and both went up in flames"
"If you forced it you also could've died"
"Most probably yes"
"You should learn to listen to it more, your instinct"
"It gets harder as one grows. It requires a certain level of control, and careful attention"
"Trust me. I know exactly what you're talking about"
He sighed.
"Anyway, I have great news", she announced.
"Okay?"-Manqoba
"I went to an interview for a managerial position about a week ago and they called this morning to let me know that I secured the job"
She was excited. He didn't know how to say what was on his mind without bursting her bubble. He felt like there was no need for her to work and he was not willing to compromise on that.

...

Betso was breastfeeding Liwe when Muzi was getting dressed. She was looking into her eyes like they were newly reunited lovers and humming as she rocked her softly, like a pendulum losing momentum. His eyes were glued and smiling at the two as he pulled his jeans up.
"Wenza kakhulu mkami"(You're doing a lot), he said and she raised her questioning eyes.
"The way umuhle ngakhona even breastfeeding looks like a new outfit on you", he complimented before pulling his red golf t-shirt down his torso. She laughed and sucked her teeth, speechless.
"Where are you going daddy?"
"I'm taking your son to initiation school", he said before pulling his sneakers forth and sitting on the bed. She pulled her brows together. He kept a straight, serious face.
"Initiation school?", she was concerned.
"Ngiyadlala. I'm taking Mxo sightseeing"
"Why him? What about Lwa?"
"Lwa is not interested"
"Okay. Where are the two of you going?", she asked and brushed Liwe's sleepy head. Her eyelids were fast getting attracted to one another, her pure white eyes half closed. Betso was in love with her existence, the sight of her, just listening to her breathe unbothered.
"She's so peaceful", he remarked as he stepped closer.
"I would too if I had no bills and responsibilities", Betso joked around before pulling the sports bra so she places her bxxb back in it. Muzi laughed and said:"Leth' umntwanam ngoba ngiyakuzwa ukhathele"(Give me my child because you're tired of her). He extended his hands to take her. Betso couldn't stop laughing but gently pulled her away.
"She's sleeping baby man", she refused to hand her over.
"Manje?"(And so?)
"You'll wake her"
He stood upright and dropped his hands.
"Mrs Muzikayise?"
She dropped her laughing face and brushed Liwe's soft cheek. She was now sleeping and out of it.
"Hm-mm"(No) she calmly turned him down and kept her eyes to her daughter. He sighed and placed his hands on his waist. She raised her eyes for a brief second before shooting out a laugh at the expression on his face. He pulled his phone and started dialing.
"Who are you calling?", she asked and fixed Liwe's head lying on her arm.
"My lawyer", she shot out a sharp laughter and Liwe flinched in her sleep.
"Ashkiies baby ashkiies nana", she hushed her so she didn't wake up. Liwe slowly dropped the hand that involuntarily rised to the air when she perceived the noise. Betso had a strong urge to laugh. The phone was ringing on speaker.
"MK. What's up?", the lawyer.
"Melusi. Unjan? Ngihlangabezana nenkinga la"(How are you? I'm facing a problem here?), he also had an urge to laugh but he wasn't going to. Betso's shoulders were moving up and down as she laughed silently, trying hard not to wake the baby.
"Give me the summary", Melusi said expectantly.
"My wife won't let me take my kid", he briefed him. Betso was still stubborn with Liwe. She had tears coming out of her eyes from all the silent laughing.
"O-kay, you went your separate ways?"
"No. She is sitting right here holding the baby in her hands. She won't let me take her"
Betso continued rocking her baby as she wiped her tears with the back of her hand.
"I...don't think I follow", Melusi searched for clarification. Muzi sounded serious on the phone but his lips were twitching. Betso finally exploded. Melusi heard her and only then did he put two and two together. He laughed as well.
"Put her on the phone", he said to Muzi. He extended his hand with the same look a kid in Kindergarten would have after telling on another and the teacher tells him to call the bully. Betso's cheeks were burning.
"Melusi hi", she said inaudibly. She couldn't articulate herself well.
"My client tells me you're giving him problems with regard to the custody of his kids"
"I did no such thing"-Betso
"Mrs Khumalo, I would advise you to stop this behaviour before we take legal action. I don't lose cases"
Muzi was also laughing at this point.
"But I have good reason to--"
"That's it. We are done talking. Put my client on the line please", Melusi said.
"Sho?", Muzi answered.
"Can we prove that she's an unfit mother? That she's incapable of taking care of the baby?"
"Fully. She laughed recklessly just minutes ago, to the detriment of my baby girl's sleep. She is not good for her mental and emotional health", Muzi reported. Melusi couldn't keep up anymore. He laughed.
"I'm charging you for this phone call"
"Charging me for being useless? I still don't have my baby in my arms"
They were all laughing.
"Aysuka ksukela nini indoda yomZulu ihlulwa wumfazi?"(Since when does a Zulu man fail to get their woman in line)
Muzi laughed and they said their goodbyes.
"Mara wena...", Betso said as she failed to contain the smile on her face.
"What? I haven't seen you laugh in ages. I had to", he said and cupped her chin so he could kiss her. She reciprocated willingly and lovingly. He kissed Liwe's cheek and brushed her silky black hair with his large palm. He held the back of Betso's neck and kissed her forehead.
"Ngiyak'thanda mama", it came out as a rough whisper.
"I love you too", she blushed as she said it back.
...