Episode 09

Save! Mxolisi exclaimed when he was finally done with the document and stored it in his stick. He was proud of himself for how he pulled it off. It looked and sounded professional when read.

"Dear parent

We hereby inform you of the new TechForLearner programme, brought to us by the Department of Education. Due to our excellent streak of outstanding annual results, Meadows Comprehensive High has received a sum of R50 000 that has been put to use provide deserving learners with digital devices that will assist them in any area of learning. The curriculum is forever evolving. By this, we hope to combat any challenges that might arise due to this fact. Our school is known for it's attentive nature to individual learners, ensuring maximum performance at the end of each academic year.

Hopefully this finds you in order.
Regards,
[Signature]"

"Ha-haaa!!!", he celebrated and woke an already irritated Lwandile up.
"Do you mind? What are you even doing?", Lwandile asked with squinted eyes.
"I'm busy being a genius as always", he said and winked at Lwa. He had his back against the grey headboard.
"Are you writing the assignment? Without being forced?", Lwandile was genuinely surprised and he wasn't even trying to hide it.
"Assignment? Ain't nobody got time for that", Mxo said and kept his eyes on the screen. Lwandile took a deep breath out.
"Can you please be serious for once? Do you have any idea how badly you're going to fail if you carry on like this?"
"You stress too much"
"As I should! If you're not ready for the exams then it means I'll have to fail them too, deliberately!", Lwandile vents.
"No you don't"
"Of course I do. I can't be one class ahead of you. It'll fxck up all our life plans"
"I won't fail. Relax"
"You don't understand how serious this is do you? If you're not careful we'll end up going to different universities because if your mediocre results"
"Your problem is, you think with your emotions. Dude we're still in grade 11"
"Do you have to be a brick each time I try to make you unders--"
"Relax!", Mxolisi yelled.
"Seems I'm the only one concerned about us sticking together huh?"
"You know that's not true. We'll always be together. We can do different things but still see each other everyday, just we've ALWAYS done. We like completely different things. Why am I explaining this to you like it's something new?"
"Lemme shut the fxck up before you accuse me of being emotional"
"You can't force your interest down my throat. You should know this by now!"
"Fxck you and your throat!", Lwandile shot out of bed and left for God-knows-where in the house. Mxolisi shut the laptop closed and threw it to the side on top of the sheets. He wiped his face and balanced his frustrated face by his palm.

...

During breakfast, the sat across one another whereas they usually sit next to each other, each stubbornly focusing on their own toast.
"Are the two of you alright?", Manqoba asked.
"Perfectly fine!", they both shot out at the same time, still keeping their eyes on their plates. Manqoba's eyes danced between them suspiciously. He turned to look at Muzi and Muzi shook his head to indicate that he shouldn't press on the matter any further. The only time he gets in their business is if their issues last for more than 24 hours.

"Are you done packing, we're leaving in a few hours?", Betso asked the two.
"Packing doesn't take the whole day mom", Mxolisi said.
"Say that again and the toast you're chewing will spray out of your nose", Betso threatened and pointed her index finger at him.
"I'm sorry", he apologized with remorse. Betso dropped her high chest and sharply threw her eyes to the wall. Melo looked at his watch and announced that he was getting late for school whereas he wasn't. He stood to go fetch his bag and blazer but immediately placed his hand on his inflated mouth with his eyes popped. He ran upstairs to go vomit.
"Are you okay Kuhle?", Betso questioned and removed the white napkin on her thighs to run after him. The eyes around the table were looking for answers in one another.