7.

Auriella dreamt of starry nights and shadows circling all around her. 

She sat on the concrete, watching the unusual figures keeping her hidden away from something or someone.

She let it happen, knowing that these figures were keeping her safe. They kept her wrapped around their darkness, protecting her. For once, she felt safe, secure. It's like her worries weren't there anymore.

She let herself move closer to the darkness, wondering if she could touch it. But as her hand got closer, she could see the shape of a Fae male show itself.

Then she jolted awake, her sweat running down her body.

The cell halls were quiet, only the sound of crackling torches was heard.

Auriella brought her knees to her chest, hugging them tightly. The motion sent a jolt of pain in her back, but she was unfazed by it. She let herself stare at the lit torch that was right outside over her cell door, staring at the fire.

She didn't know why she started crying, but she did. Her tears were silent, taking deep breaths to control the sounds that came out of her.

"Stay strong, my love," Auriella whispered to herself, remembering the words her father blurted out to her. Oh, how she yearned for his embrace. How she yearned to look him in the eyes again and remember their bright color. She desperately needed him.

Auriella remembered, when she was young, Thesan would go into her room and sing for her his favorite ballad that he made for Zephyr. Her memory of the notes was foggy, but she remembered being happy and dancing foolishly around the room. Her father would chuckle as he sang, loving his daughter's enthusiasm.

She hummed part of the song she remembered, making her heart tighten. She would give anything to go back to those days. She wanted to be alive again.

Suddenly, high pitched screams echoed throughout Under the Mountain, freeing Auriella from her comforting thoughts. She slowly stood up from the concrete, wrapping her hands around the cell bars, trying to see if there was anyone coming down the hall.

Another set of terrifying screams sounded again, followed by a loud voice, shouting commands. Auriella could hear the guards murmuring to one another, chuckling at what was happening to the poor soul.

She swallowed hard, tearing herself away from the bars and going into the dark corner once more. The screams became louder, mixed with sobs and words that Auriella could not make out. She covered her ears, wanting sleep to envelop her, but exhaustion never came.

She waited in her cell, letting the motion of the guards tell her when it was time for her next punishment with Amarantha.

But a few hours later, when the screams had stopped, she could hear footsteps of guards coming down the hall. She sat up, thinking that they were going to take her away, but that was not what was happening.

Instead, the guards had a horrifically beaten girl dangling in their arms. They opened the cell door next to Auriella, shoving the girl in. Her body plopped onto the floor, too exhausted to even stop herself from falling on the concrete.

Auriella could hear her ragged heavy breathing like she wasted her vocals. Her arms were covered in blood, her face was bruised and bleeding, her neck was scratched up, and she was missing a few fingers. Her blue-white dress was covered in blood, which Auriella immediately knew was hers.

After the guards left without a word, Auriella crawled towards the girl, laying her body flat on the floor. "What did they do to you?" She whispered, not sure if the girl could hear her.