14.

Auriella laid in her bed, staring at her exquisite ceiling.

After she had left the throne room, she immediately ran to her chamber, slamming her door shut, and fell onto the floor, silently crying in her hands.

It came as a shock to her. Feyre, Prythian's savior, was responsible for the death of Clare; responsible for the death of three people Auriella cared for the most. She felt her resentment rise higher.

Pathetic, Auriella thought. She didn't want to hate someone who didn't deserve it. Feyre must have had a good reason for doing what she did. She wanted to stay alive, to survive Amarantha's wrath. But that didn't change Auriella's emotions.

She shifted in her bed, parting away from the resentful thoughts. Instead, her mind focused on those hazel eyes, remembering every unfamiliar feeling that was sent down the newfound bond they shared. Auriella couldn't believe it; couldn't grasp how, in the midst of the chaos, she had found her mate.

And somehow, it was the Spymaster of the Night Court.

Through her tears, she laughed. The thought was ridiculous. How could the spirits be so cruel to plant yet another weight on her shoulders? Wasn't she already dealing with enough?

Not that she didn't want to get to know Azriel, but she didn't know how it could be possible. She was of the Dawn and he was of Night. They were both complete opposites and living in different parts of Prythian, serving their High Lords that do not get along. It was pointless.

Even with the impossibilities, Auriella felt her heart swell, knowing that she had been paired with someone. She had always expected to find love in the streets of the Dawn Court, scouting out men with her attendants and play matchmaker.

But after Under the Mountain, she could have cared less about love. She repulsed at the idea of it. During that dreadful year, there were only painful memories, horrific nightmares, and hopelessness that lived in her mind. Love had died with Marcellus, Poppy, and Clare.

And now that she knew who her mate was, Auriella couldn't bring herself to think further about Azriel. From the stories and rumors she had heard, the Spymaster was loyal to his court. She believed he wouldn't risk himself for someone who belonged to another court, who, in his mind, could be a potential enemy.

The Daughter of Dawn rises from her bed, walking out her balcony doors, and staring out to her dimly lit court, admiring it.

Auriella couldn't feel his presence in the palace, but her heart skipped at the thought of being under the same roof with him. She was two levels up from the guest rooms where the High Lords, and their companions, were staying. Her level was heavily guarded, keeping everyone in their places.

But she knew Azriel was out there, keeping himself close to his High Lord. He was distant, but not far. If anything, he could have been perched on top of a rooftop and watching the palace from afar.

Auriella groaned, wanting to stop thinking about him. But a part of herself could not help but wonder if his thoughts were filled with her as much as hers were with him.

***

As the sun rose, Auriella was up before her attendants came in. They walked as she was changing into her casual clothing, ready to go down to the training area.

She looked at them, "I am going spar today. Whatever battle is coming our way, I want to prepare for it. I don't care if my fathers approve or not. Hybern cannot have the upper hand." Auriella says.

Valeria nods, "Of course, Ella. Do you require assistance?" She asks.

Auriella shakes her head, "Not right now. But when I get back, can there be a hot bath waiting for me?" She asks. Her attendants nod.