Chapter 44

I slowly open my eyes, my sight immediately being Brennan holding our new baby on the couch.

"Hey." I croak out, and Brennan looks over to me.

"You're awake. How do you feel?" He whispers, his arms being steady with holding our newborn.

"Like I just had a baby." I wheeze out a laugh, and shut my eyes uncomfortably when it hurt my stitches.

"At least you're okay. Just sleepy." He stands up, and hands me our son.

I look down at his cute face, and I notice he has Brennan's nose, his hair is dark and not blonde like Zoe and mines, my lips, and I don't know who's eyes just yet.

"Has he opened his eyes at all?" I look up at Brennan, and he shakes his head.

"He's sleepy. Probably why he didn't want to come out easily. He was comfortable." Brennan runs his fingers through my hair, and I chuckle.

"He's damn lucky he's cute. And he's not all wrinkly." I tease, bringing him up so I can plant a gentle kiss on his forehead.

"Kimmy and James are with Zoe out in the lobby. Want me to go get them?" Brennan asks, and I nod.

"Why not? It's about time they meet him."

Brennan kisses my head and leaves the room for a moment, leaving me alone with my baby.

He yawned, and my chest swells up with love for him. He's so cute it hurts.

I begin to smile at the thought of letting Kimmy know she won the bet, and I get to tell them his name.

I hear footsteps come back into the room, and I look up to see Brennan bring the three people in.

"Hey guys." I whisper, and they quietly make their way in, making sure to not wake him up.

"How you feeling Mi?" Kimmy rushes to my side, giving me a careful hug.

"Exhausted." I tell her honestly, and she breathes out a small chuckle.

"Well you have a good reason to be." She responds, and looks down at Brennan and I's baby.

"So? Gender and name?" Kimmy asks eagerly, lightly one of her fingers over one of his cheeks very lightly.

"Congrats to..." I pause for dramatic effect, looking between Kimmy and James.

"James! For losing fifty bucks. It's a boy." I finish, and Kimmy gasps, throwing her hands up in the air victoriously.

"I called it! Pay up babe!" She drops her arms, reaching out a hand.

James laughs and adjusts Zoe in his hold to get a few dollar bills from his pocket to hand to his wife.

"You realize we share our money right? It's not like I'm losing anything." James says, and Kimmy purses her lips.

"I think I'll use this to benefit just myself then. A new manicure sounds nice." She pockets the dollar bills, and turns back to me.

"Now, what's his name?" She turns back to me, and looks between Brennan and I.

"You want to do the honors?" I look over to him, and he shrugs.

"Sure, if you really want me too."

"I do want you too. That's why I'm offering you to say it." I sigh, and Brennan laughs.

"Okay okay fine. We named him Milan Carter Lund." He says excitedly, and Kimmy immediately melts.

"Oh my god that's the cutest." She exclaims, looking back down at Milan.

"Want to hold him?" I ask, and she nods.

I carefully lift him up and into her arms, and Kimmy gently bounces her arms every so softly.

"You two make the cutest babies I swear to god." She claims, and I laugh.

James sets down Zoe on the ground, and she runs up to my bed, Brennan helping her up.

I carefully adjust Zoe so she can let me cuddle her without me being in pain.

"Zoe, you're a big sister." I play with her blonde hair, and she smiles.

"Does he look like me?" She asks curiously, and I nod.

"Of course he does. He just has darker hair." I say honestly, and she just nods.

"Can I play with him?"

"He's too little. Maybe someday." I frown slightly, and Zoe just sighs, trying not to look disappointed, but I secretly knew she was.

"Your parents are on their way." Brennan looks up from his phone, and I assume he got a text from them.

"Sounds good." I yawn, feeling suddenly very tired again.

Brennan stands up immediately, and picks Zoe up from my lap.

"Try and get some rest again. Zoe and Milan will be fine." He reassures, kissing my forehead.

I just nod, my eyes already drifting closed.

———

When I woke up it was later in the day, and I turned my head to see Milan sleeping on Brennan's chest, and Brennan was asleep as well, but making sure Milan was okay.

The room was quiet, and I assume Kimmy and James went home, and Zoe was with my parents.

I slowly adjust myself to sit up, and I accidentally wake up Brennan in the process.

"Did you get some rest?" I ask, my voice groggy.

He checks his watch and nods.

"About two hours it seems." He explains as he sits up, careful to not disturb Milan.

"If he wakes up again he's going to be hungry, so you might want to hold him." Brennan tells me, and I nod.

"Has he eaten today?" I reach out my arms, careful of my IV, and he hands me our son.

"When you were asleep the nurses fed him. They wanted you to recover first." He scoots a chair close to my bed and sits down, and I rest my head against his.

Brennan turns on the TV, and we begin to watch whatever channels were playing for the time being.

"You can probably check out tomorrow morning." He tells me, and I hum contently.

"Home sounds nice."

Brennan hums back, and we sit in silence and watch an episode of a show we both never seen before.

I don't care to find out what it is, because I was staring at Milan most of the time anyways.

Around the end of the episode, Milan begins to open his eyes.

"Bren, look." I gasp, and he turns towards Milan.

His eyes were a blue grey, and he stared up at Brennan and I curiously.

"He has your eyes." Brennan breaths out, and I nod, too caught in the moment to say much.

I have the perfectly imperfect family.

———
(I must say I'm proud of you guys for guessing his name! Fun fact: I picked it out not even knowing it was a mix of Milo and Brennan's name until I was writing that chapter 😂

Anyways- question of the day! Who's your favorite avenger? Mine is probably Spider-Man or Doctor Strange!

Also, next chapter is the epilogue! And it's going to tie into the sequel which I'm SO EXCITED to publish!

I'm not going to spoil anything about who the main character is and what it's about quite yet, but AAAHHAH I CANT WAIT! Anyways that's all, I love you guys!)