Chapter 12

I reluctantly sent a text to Brennan.

Me: she agreed.

I look over at Zoe who's watching tangled, again. Her obsession over that movie was ridiculous. But I loved her all the same for it.

My phone dinged as a notification popped up on my home screen. I unlocked it as soon as I saw that it was from Brennan. He responded fast.

Brennan: she did?

My fingers move quickly as I send back a response.

Me: yes. What time works best for you?

Brennan: how about tomorrow at noon? I started a long shift and that's around the time I'll have a break.

Me: sure. Send more information if you have it.

Brennan responded with the address of the local hospital, more specifically where I ran into him with my parents. It totally slipped my mind that he was a paramedic.

I set down my phone and look back over to Zoe, who was now almost asleep on the couch. I stand up quietly and take a seat on the couch near her, trying not to disturb her. I was just getting ready to pick her up once she's fully asleep to take her to her room.

But that doesn't happen, because I fall asleep next to her on the couch, Tangled playing in the background.

———

"Are you ready to meet your dad today?" I smile at Zoe through the mirror, as I brush back her soft dark blonde hair into a little ponytail.

"Yep!" She exclaims, popping the 'P' at the end of the word.

"Remember, if he does something you don't like, tell me." I tell her sternly as I place a little mint green bow in her hair. I kiss the top of her head, letting her know I was done.

"Beautiful! Now go get your shoes on please." Zoe steps off her little step stool and runs out of the bathroom.

I took a good look at myself in the mirror, feeling my heart race as I felt like I didn't look good enough.
Why did I care what I looked like? It was just Brennan. And besides, I'm very happy with Nelson. I don't need to impress anyone at the moment.

Regardless, I still take some gel between my hands and run them through my ashy blonde hair, so it at least has a put together looking style. I walk out of the bathroom and throw on a red and black flannel over a plain black shirt. I put on some black converse shoes and walk out to see Zoe trying to strap on her shoes as well.

I quickly help her strap them on, and she gives me an adorable toothy grin.

As I put her in her car seat, and then start the car soon after, I feel my heart race. I was extremely nervous. I wish I knew why since I've been running into him a lot lately. I think it was just more about the fact that he was properly meeting Zoe is what is making me internally freak out.

I drive over to the hospital, crowing more anxious by the second. I glanced through the rear view mirror to keep an eye on Zoe every now and then, and she just kept occupied on her own.

Eventually we pull into the parking lot of the hospital, and I check my texts for the directions Brennan told me to take.

I park close to the entrance that was closest to his department in the hospital, and help Zoe out of the car. I hoist her up and carry her on my hip. She wouldn't have a problem walking, but I don't exactly trust her to walk around a hospital since they were always big and confusing as hell.

I walk in the building, looking around for signs and rereading the text in my phone, and soon enough I see an open door that looks like where I was supposed to be.