Chapter 39

"It says here to screw board A into the frame around this area." James looks back and forth from the instructions paper and back to the pieces to create the crib.

Kimmy and James were over helping me get the nursery ready while Brennan was working a late night shift.

"I give you about three minutes before you give up on those instructions and figure it out yourself." Kimmy tells her husband, braiding Zoe's blonde hair in between her fingers.

I snicker, and James just rolls his eyes, grabbing the screwdriver to begin the annoying process of making furniture.

My phone buzzes in my pocket, and I check it to see a text from Brennan.

I smile and respond back.

Brennan: just three hours left to my shift and then I'm off ;)

Me: okay, come home safe please

I set down my phone, and I look over and I see Kimmy giving me a knowing smirk.

"What?" I ask, and she just hums.

"I'm just wondering when you're going to tell him."

"Tell him what? How did you even know who I was talking too?" I tilt my head curiously.

"When are you going to tell Brennan that you love him?" She rolls her eyes, and points it out like it's very obvious.

"Mommy loves daddy." Zoe points at me, and I point back.

"Yeah, so do you. Don't think I'm the only one."

Zoe let's out a loud laugh, and I notice James sighing, tossing the instructions away.

I look down at the time on my phone. "It's been a minute and a half. Not three. I win."

Kimmy groans and pulls out a five dollar bill, handing it to me.

"You guys bet on me?" James' jaw drops, and I shrug.

"Maybe. Maybe not."

———

I sit down on the couch with a sigh, my feet hurting.

"It's like you popped these last few days." Kimmy hands me a glass of water and my vitamins.

"I feel like it too. If I stand up I can barely see my feet anymore." I admit before swallowing the pills.

"Have you felt the baby move yet?" She takes a seat next to me and I nod.

"Yep! Not too long ago. Maybe like a week and a half?" I move my fingers lightly up and down my protruding belly.

"And names?"

"We keep arguing over that. He doesn't like what I picked out and Brennan's choice sounds too old." I complain.

"What's it between?"

"Well...hey! No tricking me into telling you the gender." I catch myself before I can slip up, and Kimmy pouted.

"Please?" She begs desperately.

"Only Brennan and I will know. Stop trying to trick me." I laugh, and she sighs, giving up and deciding not to press the issue.

I grab the remote and turn on the tv, beginning to flip through different channels.

"No netflix?" Kimmy asks, and I bite my lip.

"Nah, not in the mood."

I pause on the news station when I see sirens everywhere surrounding a familiar building nearby.

Shots fired from inside local gay bar

I feel my blood run cold.

"Holy shit, turn that up." Kimmy gasps, and I do exactly that.

"Police are outside the establishment right now, and paramedics are on their way. They have not yet apprehended the suspect..." the news anchor explains, and I take in a deep breath.

That's in Brennan's area. He's going to be there and the shooter is still active.

James walks in the room after putting down Zoe to bed, and he also freezes and watches the tv in anticipation.

The news anchor keeps talking as we hear more sirens in the background, and my heartbeat picks up as the show the ambulances pull into the parking lot.

"Brennan's working right now, right?" Kimmy asks quietly, and I nod, not being able to say anything.

"Police and emergency personnel are making their way inside right now. The shooter is still inside..."

"I need to go to the hospital. I can't sit here and wait." I stand up quickly, and Kimmy blocks my path.

"No, no. You're staying here and you're not going anywhere. He's going to come home safely." She tells me calmly.

I hear gun shots from the tv, and I turn back towards it.

"He could be inside. Please don't tell me he's inside." I cry out, and Kimmy sits us back down on the couch, not letting me go.

"Hey, calm down. Don't try to stress, think about your baby right now as well okay?" She makes sure I look at her in the eyes.

I nod, turning back to the tv.

"Kimmy and I aren't going anywhere. Not until Brennan comes home tonight, got it?" James chimes in, and I send him a grateful glance.

During the next hour of watching the news, I check my phone constantly, waiting for some sort of text from him, or maybe a call.

My head rested on Kimmys shoulder, and my eyes slowly drift closed for a much needed rest after a long day and a stressful evening.

I could barely keep my eyes open without a quick rest. My body is now constantly tired and sore, I couldn't have caffeine anymore, different things like that all take a toll at the end of the day.

"Milo, Milo wake up." Kimmy whispers to me, shaking my arm.

I hum, opening my eyes reluctantly.

But I instantly perk up at the sound of keys unlocking the front door from outside.

I sit up straight, and breathe a sigh of relief when I see a tired Brennan walk in.

"Oh my god..." I mutter to myself as I quickly stand up and run to him, wrapping my arms around his neck.

I feel his arms wrap around my waist, and he holds me tightly.

"Thank god you're okay." I manage to whisper.

"I wasn't in the bar. I was one of the few medics outside." He briefly tells me, and I let out a sob.

His hands lower to the back of my legs, and I take that as a sign to jump up and wrap my legs around his waist.

He walks back to the couch and sits down, and I'm now sitting in his lap, refusing to let go of him.

"Don't ever scare me like that again." I close my eyes, and the touch of his hands on my back don't help with keeping me awake.

I hear shushed voices as I doze off again.

I can make out the words stressed, exhausted, and worried. That's it.

I mumble something into Brennan's shirt, not catching what I said. Then I slowly drift back into sleep once again.

———
(Question of the day- what's your favorite season? I personally love fall)