Chapter 13

"So? How did it go?" Kimmy waltzes into my office and shuts the door behind her, plopping herself into one of my chairs across from my desk.

"It went fine actually. He didn't do or say anything wrong, so I guess that's a relief." I lean back in my chair and stretch out my arms in front of me, since they're sore from being in the same position for a few hours because I'm typing so much.

"Fine? Milo you know I need more details than that." Kimmy groans, clearly frustrated that I haven't been really open with her lately about these types of things.

"Okay fine. He was really nice to her, and I can tell he's willing to do anything for her already. They also act so alike it scares me to death. Things are going too fast for my liking and I'm not sure how to deal with it all." I sigh.

Kimmy purses her lips, thinking for a moment. "Set boundaries. It sounds like you have none right now. I'm not willing for that dirty earring back to just come in and swoop her off her feet."

The corner of my lips tug into a smile at her insult towards him, and how much she loves Zoe.

"I'm dead serious Milo. I have waited and worked long and hard to be that 'cool aunt' figure for her, and i'm not allowing him to jump into her life without a fight that I can't take my hoops out for."

I shake my head, now in full amusement. "You're not going to take your hoops out to fight him, Kimmy."

"Oh yes I will. Are you doubting my ability to throw a punch?"

"No! I swear i'm not, I just don't want anyone to fight anyone...yet." I silently threw on the last word under my breath, but knowing Kimmy, she didn't fail to hear it.

She continues on with the conversation anyways, sounding like she's ready to whoop Brennan's ass if he makes one wrong move.

"Alright, Milo. Let's write down some rules here, shall we?" She grabs one of my pens from off my desk and grabs a white sheet of paper from my printer. I just watch her curiously, but not interfering. Who knows what she would do if I interfere.

"How attached do you want her to be? Any restrictions for them both?" She looked up at me from the paper.

"Kimmy, it's their relationship. I don't want to interfere."

"Fuck that. It's your relationship as well because you're the parent. Reality check Milo, make him work for the title of being a dad." Suddenly her dark brown eyes widen. I know that look, and she always gets it when a 'genius' idea crosses her mind.

"Don't let Zoe call her dad until you give her permission. That creates an emotional separation that you control until you're willing to give it up when he's earned it. You told me a few weeks ago that her father is someone who earns the title. Make him earn it." And before I can even object to her idea, she's already jotting it down.

"He can only visit and do things with her with your permission. If he does something that you don't like, then the punishment is up to you for that."

I nod, actually agreeing with her on that.

"How about he can't interfere with my romantic relationships? He said he wanted to connect with Zoe, which I will agree with, but he can't get in the way of Nelson and I?" I offer, smiling at myself for actually contributing to this list.

Kimmy gives me a smirk. "Good one. Keep them coming and I'll write them down." She tells me quickly as the pen moves fast across the paper.

I rack my brain for different boundaries to be set, and give them to her one by one.