Chapter 40

I sigh softly into the pillow, frowning when I noticed it wasn't as warm as it was all night.

I open my eyes and sit up, noticing I'm in my room.

Suddenly I remember the events of last night, and I jump out of bed, practically running into the kitchen.

Brennan was listening to Zoe talk about something completely random.

"Good morning." I look from Zoe to Brennan, and his green eyes are staring into my gray ones.

"Morning." I let a smile on my face, just glad that everyone was okay.

"There's some breakfast on the stove if you'd like. I would plate it for you but Zoe insists I listen to her story about creating a five star restaurant recipe that involves peanut butter and strawberries." Brennan shrugs, and I let out a light laugh, walking into the kitchen.

"To be fair, she isn't wrong. Peanut butter and strawberries sound good." I grab a plate from the cupboard and grab the spatula to put breakfast on it.

Suddenly I remember the last thing I had told Brennan last night before I had fallen asleep on his lap.

The plate slips from my hands and falls onto the floor, shattering around my feet.

"Crap..." I mumble, putting the spatula back on the counter.

I hear Brennan get up and I watch him grab a broom and a pan, and he begins to sweep up the shards around me.

I try and take a step, and he quickly stops me from doing so.

"Don't take a step. I'm not letting you cut your feet." He explains, and instead of taking a step, I manage to bend down to pick up the big pieces.

"Do you remember what I said last night?" I blurt out, curiosity getting the best of me.

Brennan looks over to me, thinking for a moment.

"You said a lot of things last night."

"No like, right before I fell asleep. I think I remember but I just need to be sure." I bite my lip anxiously, and he gives me a reassuring smile.

"Oh. You said you loved me."

I just nod, looking down awkwardly, putting the big shards of glass in the broom pan.

He grabs my wrist gently, and I look back up to him.

"I love you too." Brennan tells me, and I stare at him, shocked and not knowing how to react.

"Wha- ok why?" I eventually say, and Brennan laughs.

"How about I show you after we drop off Zoe for her first day of daycare?" He leans into me, and I just nod.

"I would like that."

He smiles, and quickly capture my lips with his.

I pull away after a few seconds, out of breath.

"Okay, let's finish this up so I can eat. I'm starving." I give him a look, and he backs away nodding.

"Got it."

———

I walk into Kimmys office, shutting her door and sitting down in her seat.

She custards at me curiously, lo mein noodles hanging from her mouth as she eats.

I wait for her to finish up her bite before she speaks.

"You're in a happy mood." She sets down her food, and I shrug, still smiling.

"Bitch what happened? You can't just skip in here and be silent." She narrows her eyes and I just laugh.

"Okay, okay. A few days ago, Brennan and I finally decided on a name." I felt giddy about the fact, and I just needed someone to tell.

"And what is it?" She leans forward, and I can only guess that she believes I'm going to accidentally spill the gender based off the name.

"I'll give you one hint and one hint only. It's a mix of Brennan and I's name out together, and it's not weird. We both agreed on it and didn't argue for once about this name." I smile, and she leans back, sighing.

"You're killing me with this Mi. James and I have a bet on what the gender is and I can't lose." She exclaims, and I laugh.

"What's are you betting on? Boy or girl?" I ask, and she smiles.

"It better be a boy, or else I lose fifty bucks." She points accusingly to me, and dives back into her food.

I shrug. "Well, we'll have to see."

I stand up and begin to walk out of her office.

"Are you leaving because you know you can't lie to me?" She questions.

"No, I just have a client to get too. Also I'm hungry and the baby wants food." I shrug.

"Bitch I have extra food. Sit down and eat with me." She points back to her chair and I roll my eyes, but sit down nonetheless.

"Hey, I know this is kinda serious all the sudden, but I just wanted to thank you for keeping me calm a few nights ago. Also and to thank James for building a fucking crib from IKEA." I add on the last part with a hint of amusement to my tone, and Kimmy gives me a gentle smile as she hands me a container of fried rice.

"Don't worry about it Mi. I'm just glad the both of you are okay." Kimmy says nonchalantly.

"Me too. That night was crazy." I take a bite of the food, a moan almost slipping past my lips.

"Mmhm. Also how's Brennan taking the cleaning phase? He texted James about that the other night." Kimmy snickers, and I swallow my food before joining in on the laugh.

"I think I'm making him hate cleaning. I can't help it though, the baby is coming really soon and everything has to be spotless."

"You guys have been really chill with each other the past few months. I'm glad to see you finally happy and in a good relationship. Despite some drawbacks that happened." Kimmy takes a sip out of her water bottle.

"I was about to give up honestly. It wasn't healthy at first but I'm very glad I stuck through and got lucky with him." I tell her honestly, and my phone buzzes.

I get my phone from my pocket and see a text from Brennan, and he was explaining he had just picked up Zoe from daycare.

"Alright, well I have a client to get too. But thanks for the rice." I stand up, and Kimmy laughs.

"Have fun."

"Can't have fun without you whore." I wink and blow her a kiss before quickly exiting her office.

———
(Question of the day- can you guess the name??)