Chapter 5

Well things got awkward and intense all at the same time.

"You know him Milo?" My mom asks, very unaware of the tension between us.

I just nod, too annoyed and shocked to really speak.

"I can go fill out the insurance papers. Just text me the information." I quickly turn to my mom and tell her.

She nods. "Good idea. Thank you for offering to do that."

I quickly walk out of the room while I had a chance, and while Brennan was caught up in showing the doctor whatever he needed to show him.

I walk over to the front desk and request insurance papers to fill out, and the receptionist hands them to me after she prints out new copy's, along with a pen.

I begin to fill out a bunch of legal information, and eventually after a minute or so I feel someone standing next to me.

I glance up out of the corner of my eye and I see Brennan hand a folder to one of the nurses. When he was finished, he looked over to me, and I quickly glance back down at the paper, continuing to fill it out.

"I thought that I would never see you again." I hear him begin to talk to me, and I just shake my head and ignore him.

"Would you please talk to me?" He tilts his head down, and I make eye contact with him.

I set down my pen harshly and glared at him. "There is nothing to talk about. Now please go away and do your job or something."

I picked my pen back up and continued to work on the form in front of me.

"I just want to apologize." Brennan said firmly, and I rolled my eyes.

"For what exactly? Making my life a living hell during high school? Constantly trying to publicly humiliate me? Or was it the fact that you slept with me while you were drunk off your ass and you regret it?" I snap back to him, but careful enough not to let anyone around us hear what I was telling him.

"All of that, except the last one. I don't regret it." He admits.

I finish the form and hand it back to the nurse, giving her a polite smile.

"Don't bullshit me, Brennan. There was one thing you made clear a few years ago, and it was that no way in hell did you like me enough to sleep with me and actually enjoy it. Besides, you weren't that good anyways." I begin to walk off and back to where my dads room was, when my phone begins to buzz with an incoming call.

I pick it up, seeing Kimmys number flash across my screen.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Zoe won't go to bed without saying goodnight to you." Kimmy chuckles over the phone, and I smile, turning my back in the walk and leaning against it.

"Alright, give her the phone and I'll make sure she goes to bed." I tell my best friend, and I hear some shuffling before I hear my daughter.

"Mommy? Where are you?" I hear her cute voice after the very long and eventful night I have had so far.

"I'm with my dad. He got hurt really bad." I began to tell her about her grandpa very simply so she could understand.

"Oh no! I have a bandaid." I hear her pout through the phone, and I smile to myself due to how cute she's being.

"A band aid won't help, but I can tell him you said hi?" I offer, and I hear her squeal.

"Thank you! I love you and grandpa and grandma and KimKim and Rapunzel!" She exclaims.

"I love you too. And I miss you so much. Be good with Kimmy, alright?" I tell her, softly yet sternly.

"Okay! Goodnight!" Zoe giggles, and I smile.

"Goodnight. I'll be back home soon. I love you." Some shuffling happens over the phone after I say that, and Kimmy comes back on over the phone.

"Thank you. Now maybe she can finally calm down." She sighs, and I can tell how exhausted she is.

"You're welcome. Thank you for watching her." I reply.

"See you when you get back. Then tell me all about your date! I can't believe my best friend is finally getting some!" I can feel her horrible winking through the phone.

"Stop winking, you know how bad you are at that." I tease.

"Excuse you! I'm fabulous at winking, you're just blind to all of my pure awesome skills I can do." Kimmy retorts.

"Yeah yeah whatever. I don't want to know all the 'awesome skills' you have to offer. Save those for James." I roll my eyes, and I hear her bellow out laughing.

"Alright, I'm gonna let you go to get Zoe to sleep. See you later whore." I hear her blow me a kiss through the phone.

"You too hoe. Love you."

"Love you." She says, and the phone line disconnects.

"Who were you talking to?" I heard Brennan a few feet away from me, and I shot him a nasty look.

"Kimmy. Now stop listening in on my conversations." I pocket my phone and cross my arms, frustrated with him.

I hate how riled up he makes me. He never fails to piss me off one way or another.

"Just sounded like you were talking to more than one person." He shrugs.

"I really don't see who I talk to should matter to you. And it was just Kimmy. Now go do your job." I roll my eyes and head back in the room that my parents were in.

"Sorry about that long wait, Kimmy called." I tell my parents.

"That's fine. How's she doing?" My mom smiles, despite the situation she's in with her husband.

"She's good. She's with Zoe, who says hi and that she loves you both by the way." I sit down in a chair next to my mom.

"I miss Zoe! Please bring her around sometime." My dad exclaims.

"You guys saw her a week and a half ago." I shake my head.

My dad just shrugs.

"If you guys need anything else I'm willing to stay, but I should probably go relieve Kimmy right now. She sounds tired." I purse my lips.

Mom nods. "Just you coming helped. Thank you." She kisses my cheek, and I stand up to make my way out.

"I'll see you all later, hopefully with Zoe next time." And they both smile, nodding happily.

I walk down the hall, passing Brennan.

"Where are you going?" I hear him call.

I lift up my middle finger and exit the ER.

———

(Well, Minneapolis is on fire now.

2020, I want a refund.

Stay safe y'all.)