Chapter 29

As I typed away on my laptop, I heard my phone buzz on the table as someone was trying to call me.

I look at the caller ID, and Brennan's name was staring back at me on the screen.

I sigh and let my phone ring, not wanting to pick it up and talk to him at the moment.

My eyes flick back to my computer screen and I begin typing away again. I check the time, and it's almost 2am.

Caffeine. I need more caffeine. I was starting to feel tired, and thats not a good feeling for me at the moment.

I haven't fallen asleep since the night before I had heard everything Brennan has done. And why?

A part of me felt like that the harder and the more I worked, that it would push away the feeling of being bargained for. I wanted to prove to myself that I was worth more than a simple check between two men.

I got up from my bed and walked out to my kitchen, where I had stocked up on a ton of energy drinks and anything with caffeine really. Also sugar. Lots of sugar.

Call me insane, but for some reason this made sense to me. And I know it's not healthy, but I just want to try harder and be better. And there was no room for sleeping.

I grab a can of Red Bull and walk back to my room, practically chugging down the drink, getting prepared for a long night and days worth of work.

———

"Milo, are you sure you're alright?" Kimmy gives me a concerned look, and I nod quickly, not taking my eyes off the computer.

It's been five, maybe six? Days without sleep now. I don't know, I don't care. I lost count.

"I'm fine. I have to show a house after lunch today, and I just want it to go well." I lie. Kinda. I'm not lying about showing a house, but I was lying about feeling nervous.

I just needed an excuse so Kimmy could get off my back.

When Kimmy doesn't say anything, I turn to her, tilting my head. "What?"

She sighs, leaning forward in the chair she was sitting in. "You haven't been yourself for the past few days. What's going on?"

"I'm fine Kimmy, I promise." I quickly assure, the lie slipping easily past my lips.

I turn back to my computer and click print on a file, needing it for the showing later. When I stand up, I feel myself get lightheaded.

I try my best to shrug it off. I can't act sleepy in front of Kimmy.

"Milo, when's the last time you slept?" Kimmy presses on.

"Last night. Just woke up a few times. One of those nights, you know?" I take the papers from the printer, and put them in a folder, quickly sitting back down.

Kimmy just nods, but I can tell she doesn't believe me, and she knows something is up with me. That everything is in fact, not okay.

"Well, I'm going to head back to do my thing. Make sure people aren't trying to scam, you know?" She chuckles, trying to lighten the unwanted tense mood between us.

I nod, not taking my eyes off my computer screen.

Kimmy just sighs, standing up and leaving my office.

———

The next day was a slow one, and very hard and rough to attempt to get through.

The energy drinks were starting to fail my body, and cold showers were no longer doing much to keep me awake. Sugar was making me feel sick, and I even threw up this morning because of it.