Chapter 38

Brennan puts the car in park, and I examine the house anxiously.

It was huge, and it confirmed my suspicion that Brennan used to be one of those rich kids a few years ago.

On our way here, Brennan had told me his parents still really didn't take much of a liking to gay people. They were getting better, but to not be surprised if they try to cause any drama.

Any questions that I get through the dinner will be better asked in private, and to not fall for their tricks to get me upset on any way.

I step out of the car and adjust my clothes, making sure my bump can't be seen with the black dress shirt I wore.

We didn't know how well they would act if I just showed up and they immediately knew I was pregnant.

I take Brennan's hand as he leads me to the front door, and he knocks loudly.

The door opens, and a woman stands there. She's petite, and has tan skin. Dark brown eyes and black hair with grey streaks. She was frowning for just a moment before she saw Brennan.

"My boy!" She exclaims, and quickly hugs her son.

He bent over so she could hug him properly, and he gives an awkward pat on her back.

She lets go and turns to me, holding out her hand.

"Hello, I'm Ida. You must be Milo." She introduces herself, and I give a friendly smile, taking her hand and giving her a warmer greeting than Brennan did.

"Come inside, please." She steps aside, and we both take that as a sign to step past her and in the nice home.

She begins talking, claiming how excited she was to finally have us over for dinner. I notice the more she talked, the more I noticed a faint accent to her voice.

If I remember correctly, Brennan told me she was middle eastern.

Brennan and I follow her into a large dining room, and kitchen, where she was taking plates of different foods and setting them down in the center of the table.

A tall man makes his way into the room, and he has a hard expression. It doesn't change or falter as he eyes Brennan, and then when he glances to me.

His hair is white, he isn't nearly as tan as Ida. He's actually fairly pale. His eyes are the same shade of green like Brennan's, and he's around the same height.

"Son." He gives an acknowledging nod to him, and Brennan's hand around mine tightens.

"Oh be nice Matteo. We haven't seen him in forever and we finally got him over for dinner." Ida puts her hands on her hips, and Matteo just grunts, taking a seat at the table.

I make my way to a seat as well with Brennan once Ida begins to sit down, and we sit across from his parents.

Ida seems sweet, but Matteo seems emotionless.

Ida begins serving food on Matteos plate, and then she kindly puts food on Brennan and I's before getting to hers.

"How are you guys?" She begins a conversation, and I look over to Brennan.

"We're fine. Happy." He speaks, and I smile, comfortable with that answer, as simple as it was.

"You have a job?" Matteo speaks, and I notice there's no accent with him.

I believe Brennan told me that he was born in Spain but raised here since he was very little. He sounded American and that was the end of that story.

"I'm a paramedic." Brennan begins to dig into his plate, eating the food.

Matteo looks over to me, and I try to calm my nerves before I reply.