Chapter 23

It was now late in the evening, and the guests that showed up for the birthday party were now long gone except for Brennan, Kimmy, and Nelson.

Zoe was laying down in my lap as the three of us were finishing up a card game.

"Uno." Kimmy smirks, and everyone around me groans with frustration. I had one card as well, but I was growing extremely frustrated since everyone else did everything in their power to not let me get a turn.

Finally, Nelson sets down a green 9, and I throw down a green 2, clapping my hands in triumph.

"Woah woah wait, now we gotta keep playing to see who gets second place." Kimmy states, and Nelson sets his cards down, giving up.

She glares at him, and Brennan sets his cards back down as well. "No thanks, I'm out."

"Same." Nelson takes one last gulp of some lemonade he had in front of him. "I should probably head out anyways." He stands up, getting ready to leave. "I'll see you guys soon, yeah?"

"Let me head out with you. See you at work Milo." Kimmy stands up, grabbing her jacket.

"See you." I smile at them, and look down at Zoe who's now falling asleep on my lap.

"Want me to take her to bed?" Brennan asks me, his voice now quieting down.

I nod, because then I can get a head start at cleaning up a few things before bed. The house was a mess and I didn't like it.

Brennan stands up, and carefully picks Zoe up from off my lap. She mumbles at the sudden shift, but subconsciously buries herself deeper into Brennan's chest.

I stand up as he takes her away to her room, and I walk into the kitchen.

Looking around at all of the trash, I frown. I find a trash bag and begin cleaning everything up, which mainly consists of containers and plastic dishware. I finally have all the trash bagged up, and then I move onto putting food away in the fridge, and I hear Brennan walk in.

"Need any help?" He takes a seat on a stool on the other side of the counter.

"Not really. I'm just putting away food and I'll unload the dishes. I'll wash them in the morning." I briefly turn around, then turn back to find more space for some food.

I see him nod as I grab the last thing to be put away, and I give him a forced smile. Awkward tension filled the air.

"About the other night-"

"Can we not talk about that?" I interrupt, and close the fridge.

"Why not?" He furrowed his eyebrows.

"There's nothing to talk about. It was all said and done on that night so let's just leave it." I sigh, and open up the dishwasher, trying to keep busy.

"Milo." he sighs. I fully stand up after leaning down and face him, crossing my arms. "Brennan."

He blinks a few times, mumbling something under his breath that I didn't catch. I just roll my eyes and proceed to do the final chore for the night.

"We have to talk about it. You have a boyfriend for Christ's sake. And you-"

"I know what I did? Alright? Don't mention it." I growl, but he doesn't stop.

"Does Nelson at least know?"

"Yes, he knows. Is that all?" I exasperate, slamming down a few dishes on the counter, but not hard enough to break them. He stands up in shock at my outburst.

"What did he say?" He carefully demands, and I narrow my eyes.

"I don't see how that's any of your business." I shake my head.

"What did he say?" He says in a firmer tone.

I don't respond and pick the dishes back up, putting them away. As I'm sorting them out in the cupboards, I hear him approach me from behind.

When I'm done I turn around, and he's pretty close, but not enough to make it uncomfortable or awkward.

"It's my business because I played apart in the situation. Now, what did he say?" He's a lot closer now, and my back is against the counter, meaning I'm stuck.

He wasn't going to let up about this, was he?

"We broke up." I tell him honestly, and he looks surprised, but at the same time it also looks like he was expecting it.

Before I can explain anything else, he leans down and captures my lips with his. My eyes widen with shock, before my body quickly relaxes and my eyes close.

I began to move along with him, and that's when he deepened the kiss, knowing that I was consenting.

I feel his hands travel to the bottom of my thighs, and I jump, and he quickly grabs hold of the back of my knees, resting me on the counter top. Our lips don't disconnect the entire time, and my hands find their way to the top of his neck and his jaw bone.

My mind is racing the entire time, but yet it's not. It's a weird feeling. My stomach erupts with a butterfly sensation, and that freaks me out momentarily because I have never felt like this with any guy before.

His hands move down to my hips, and that's when my mind comes racing back to reality. I pull away, breathing heavily.

"I'm sorry, this is just way too fast right now." I pant, looking into his green eyes.

He frowns slightly. "Go on a date with me?"

This time it's my turn to frown, and I shake my head a little bit. "I can't."

He pulls away from me, his hands leaving my waist. I'd be lying to myself if I said that I didn't miss his hands there already.

"I don't care how long I have to wait, Mi. But I will, and I will take you on a date soon." He tells me, in such a serious tone that sounded more like a promise to the both of us.

"I like you a lot. And I know you do as well, no matter how much you try to convince yourself that you don't. Let me know when you're ready to try."

He looks at me one more time, and I'm positive I look flustered as hell, before turning around and leaving my house.

I watch his every move the entire time, and I just sit on the counter, confused and frustrated.

That's when it happens. When I completely break down. Tears start flowing down my face, and I don't hold back or try to stop them.

I was crying because I had lost a really good relationship with a great guy. I was crying because Brennan made me feel a certain way that no one else had. I was crying because, although I hate to admit, Brennan was right. I did like him, but I was just too stubborn to admit it.

I was crying because, to me, it was too soon to start another relationship.

———

(Hey y'all! I'm finally in college and classes started and it's all wild as hell! I enjoy it so much already (:

Hopefully I can break down into a normal schedule soon, but I'm just glad I have a lot of chapters prewritten and I'm actually writing chapter 33 as I'm typing this lmaooo

Anyways, how's school going for you all? Anything new? Are you all safe, considering the entire west coast *including my state* is on fire?

See you next update!)