Chapter 15

It was a couple days later, and Nelson was already leaving. Which broke my heart of course, and I didn't expect it to come so soon.

I took a few days off to spend some much needed time with him and Zoe, and gave Brennan's case to Kimmy until I could get back to it.

"Have all your things?" I ask Nelson, who put his last suitcase in the back of his car. I was holding Zoe, who was, frankly, more sad than I was about Nelson's departure.

He shuts the car's trunk door and looks over to Zoe and I. He nods sadly. "Everything's all packed and ready to go."

I feel a few tears quickly run down my cheeks, and Nelson walks over to me, pulling me into a hug and being mindful of Zoe.

"Just for a few months. I'll call you two every single chance I get. Alright?" He promises us, and I nod, leaning up slightly to plant one last final goodbye kiss on his lips.

After a few seconds, he pulls away, planting one last gentle kiss on my forehead and reaches for Zoe.

I let him hold her in his arms for a hug, and she's sobbing into his shoulder, easily soaking the fabric of his shirt.

"Be good for your mom, okay Zoe Bear?" He gently tells her, and she just continues crying.

He reluctantly hands her back over to me, her shrieking possibly getting louder since she had to let go.

"Call me when you get there. Be safe, okay?" I bite my lip, and he nods to me. Giving me a soft and reassuring smile.

I watch, feeling helpless as he steps into his car, starts the engine, and drives away with a wave.

I hear Zoe sniffling softly into my shirt now, and I walk inside, not wanting to stand out in my driveway anymore.

I can tell both Zoe and I are tired and are in desperate need for a nap.

I walk into Zoe's room, setting her down in her bed, and she doesn't comply. She kicks and yells in my ear.

"Zoe, you need to take a nap." I tell her, and she shakes her head.

"Fine. If you won't nap in here then you're going to nap with me." I walk out of her room, making sure to shut her door.

I make my way over to my room instead, laying us both down on my bed. I tuck us underneath the sheets, and she cuddles close to me.

I grab my phone and send a quick text to Kimmy.

Me: Nelson just left for his job. If you come over later me and Zoe might be asleep in my room, just a heads up.

I don't bother to wait for a response and shut off my phone, connecting it to a charger. I rest my head in my pillow and sleep quickly swallows me up.

———

I feel a little poke on my cheek, and my eyes slowly flutter open. They still feel heavy from crying when Nelson left.

I see Zoe staring at me through her big green eyes.

"KimKim and B made food." She tells me.

B? Who the hell was B?

I hear my door creak slightly open, and I look over to see Kimmy smiling at me, holding a cup of some drink.

She walks over to me, and I sit up. She hands me the cup, which is thankfully orange juice.

"Before you get upset, I was doing an appointment with Brennan and he saw the text you sent through my phone. He insisted on coming with me, so he's here. He's been watching Zoe for about an hour."