Chapter 43

I wake up from the feeling of my pajama pants being soaked.

I sit up groggily, confused.

A sudden pain ripples through my body, and I take a deep breath, looking at the closest clock to me and counting how long the pain is lasting.

Once it subsides, I look over to Brennan sleeping, and I shake him awake.

"Bren. Bren wake up." I call out, and he groans, rolling over to face me.

"What's going on?" He mumbles, half asleep.

"My water just broke." I explain, and he sits up wide awake.

"I'll get the bags. Let me know when to time your contractions." He quickly gets out of the bed, and turns on the light.

"I need to change. Can you call Kimmy as well and let her know we'll be dropping off Zoe?" I get out of bed as well, looking for a spare change of pants.

"Consider it handled. Now let's go have our baby."

———

A few hours of labor later, and I was miserable in the hospital bed.

Exhausted, in pain, waiting for drugs mainly. I was also very hungry but all I was allowed to eat were ice cubes.

A knock sounded at the door, and Brennan looks up from the chair beside me.

"Someone wanted to come say hi." I hear Kimmy whisper, and I manage to open my eyes halfway.

"Hi Zoe bear." Brennan stands up and takes Zoe from Kimmys arm, Zoe instantly latching onto her dad.

I must say, labor this time was a lot easier with a companion by my side.

"Hi mommy." Zoe waves at me, and I give her a half smile, before scrunching you my face in pain as another contraction hit.

"What's wrong?" Zoe asks.

"Mommy's just in a lot of pain. He's going to be okay though." Brennan reassures.

"I'm sorry." Zoe says, and I get out a light laugh during the contraction.

"What hour are you guys in now?" Kimmy sits down, James following her.

"Uh," Brennan checks his watch. "Nine. He's dilating kinda slow."

I sigh in relief once my contraction passes.

"We're waiting on word from the anesthesiologist about the epidural. Hopefully it can relax him enough to dilate the rest of the four centimeters."

I just nod weakly into the pillow, closing my eyes again but still awake to listen to the conversation.

"People say that childbirth is beautiful but I'm not looking forward to this." I hear Kimmy mutter, and James laughs.

"It'll be fine."

"Says the man who did nothing besides bust a nu-" Kimmy begins, but Brennan interrupts.

"Hey, Zoe's in the room."

"Sorry." Kimmy laughs, and I open my eyes again, attempting to grab my cup of ice to eat a few more cubes.

Brennan notices me struggling to reach the cup, and he helps out by giving it to me.

"I want ice." Zoe pouts, and I smile.

After Brennan gives me my ice, he takes one out and gives it Zoe.

"Remember it's cold." He warns, and Zoe nods, putting it in her mouth anyways.

Another knock sounded at the door, catching everyone's attention.